Disappointing NYT article about family “rifts”

Started by saylor, December 13, 2020, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saylor

Glosses over the situation where trauma was involved, and heavily leans toward burying past hurts and "moving forward". But the comments give you an idea about how widespread unacknowledged abuse is (not like that should surprise us...)

Hopefully, next time NYT publishes something on this topic, it will be more balanced.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/well/family/when-a-family-is-fractured.html?surface=home-discovery-vi-prg&fellback=false&req_id=580850114&algo=identity&variant=no-exp&imp_id=894318211&register=email&auth=register-email

Dark.art.girl

This is extremely tone-deaf. First of all, I hate how she calls it "rifts". These "rifts" aren't always because of superficial reasons.
Reconciliation does NOT apply to every situation, and I think it's incredibly irresponsible for her to take matters into her own hands with a father and son. Especially when it comes to a scenario where the son could've wanted to have his father in his life, but the father was a narcissist who refuses to look inward and continues abusive behavior. She could have restarted the entire cycle all over again. It makes me truly angry that she even THOUGHT about writing this article, and the fact that NYT even approved it. She clearly expressed that she is not a licensed therapist. UGH