N-acetylcysteine (NAC) for CPTSD

Started by Rogue84, December 19, 2020, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue84

Hey all—
I've been through a lot of retraumatizing events and anxiety lately and am (probably as a result) now suffering from insomnia (my quetiapine suddenly doesn't work anymore), which is in itself also a trigger for anxiety. So much fun :/

I asked my GP for help this week because my suicidal thoughts are coming back and i don't want that. I'm really in a bad place and something needs to happen.

She is of no help unfortunately, told me to start using SSRI's again. Had a bad experience with them so i would not consider that especially without a psychiatrist!!
She could not advice on anything for sleeping, other than prescribing lorazepam, but that is no solution for the long run.

So i'm on my own kinda (also a trigger) :(

Here's what i've found:

My insomnia is definitely caused by cptsd and stress. I feel my sympathetic nervous system is at the wheel mostly. Understandable i can't sleep. So, i have to get the parasympathetic nervous system take over (again). But how?

I've started doing daily yoga (with Adriene, she has a youtube channel and even made one for PTSD). It's probably too early to see results.

Today i stumbled upon NAC, an amino acidic supplement. Several studies show this has on helped reduce PTSD- addiction- and depression symptoms.

I've looked on this forum but have not seen any topics on it, so i thought i start one. I am wondering if any of you have experience with it?

Or other natural remedies you've found to help calm the nervous system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

buddy9832

I don't know about NAC. But if it helps I found 10mg of melatonin and Mini Press for nightmares helps me.

mojay

Hi Rogue, thank you for sharing with us, I'm so sorry you're in a bad place :c How are you doing now?

I also do not like SSRIs. I do take melatonin and have found  sublingual administration thru quick-dissolve tablets has been most helpful. I also take the melatonin 90 minutes before I want to sleep rather than the 20 minutes that the directions usually say. I do a melatonin schedule of 3 months on and 3 months off.

I've been taking Mirtazapine for the past year, it's a tetracyclic antidepressant, but I take it at night primarily for sleep. I've found it has helped me feel drowsy after I take it but does not cause drowsiness during the day. Actually, I just checked my meds journal: when I first started it I did experience daytime drowsiness at 15 mg so we dropped to 7.5 mg. After 10 days at 7.5 mg I increased to 15 mg and did not experience daytime drowsiness. I've found it reduces my nightmares. I do believe it has had some anti-depressant effects for me, especially on my intrusive suicidal thoughts. Here is the NCBI article on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519059/ if you'd like more information about it's anti-depressant effects.

I also had a good experience with taking Hydroxyzine (an anti-histamine) for my anxiety, specifically for my sleep anxiety. It helped calm my anxiety and made me feel drowsy after I took it at night. Once my sleep and anxiety became better I stopped taking Hydroxyzine and continued with Mirtazapine and Melatonin.

Really hoping you find something that helps, lack of sleep is the worst  :hug: