What's in a Name Part 2

Started by Kizzie, January 31, 2021, 06:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

It's fun/interesting to hear why members chose the username they did for OOTS so if you're willing to share that with us, please post here.  :)

Alter-eg0

Haha, mine isn't that interesting.
Years and years ago, back when I was very ill and nobody knew, I found an online support forum that I joined. And I was too scared to use my own name, so I figured, I need an Alter Ego.
Well, there we are :Idunno: No very original ;)

Kizzie

:thumbup:   I think it's a great name for here as it kind of acknowledges that we tend to wear a mask in public and hide the wounded part of us.   

CactusFlower

I chose mine to honor the place I live because I love it so much. Also the proof that even things you think couldn't survive can end up beautiful.

Jazzy

I picked my name mostly because it was something practically no one knew about me (I like jazz music, though I am particular about it!), and I was paranoid someone in my family would find what I had written and who I was, so I wanted to use a name that would make them question themselves if they thought it was me, as a last line of defence.

It was also at the time, the only "real" part of my personality. No one influenced me to like jazz; I just do. I wanted to start getting real about myself and my recovery, so I thought it was good for that too.

JakobBolu

My name is an anagram from the real one ) of course I'm too scared to share it with anyone.

Jazzy

That sounds neat JakobBolu! I understand that you're too scared to share, I feel that way a lot too. Maybe it's better for you not to share. I feel a lot more safe and confident with some anonymity. :)

Aish

My ex girlfriend who is one of my best friends is from Peru.  She says 'Aish' when she is frustrated kind of like it when people say 'sigh' or something.  I don't know why but I always found it endearing so I started to use it as a username for things.

caboose

"Caboose" is the name I was given when I hiked part of the pacific crest trail two years ago. Another hiker gave me the name because I was very late to start hiking the trail going from Mexico to Canada, and it has kind of grown on me since. One meaning of "caboose" is a wagon at the end of a train, and I like the metaphor for my recovery. A lot of my development has been delayed due to my trauma, but the train is still moving forward, and that's what really matters.

TreseO

My name is my defiance against the ones given to me. My granny said I wasn't named for 12 days, it was a singer my non mom heard and tacked her own name on but I don't use it. I really ticked her off by naming my daughter after my sister and taking back my step-father's name after my divorce. The 'O' is a nod to him.

SecretsOfTheHeart

I've really enjoyed reading how people came up with their names. My name was inspired by the book 'The Wise Man's Fear' by Patrick Rothfuss. The words in this excerpt really resonate with me every time I read them.

..."There are two types of secrets. There are secrets of the mouth and secrets of the heart.

Most secrets are secrets of the mouth. Gossip shared and small scandals whispered. These secrets long to be let loose upon the world. A secret of the mouth is like a stone in your boot. At first you're barely aware of it. Then it grows irritating, then intolerable. Secrets of the mouth grow larger the longer you keep them, swelling until they press against your lips. They fight to be set free.

Secrets of the heart are different. They are private and painful, and we want nothing more than to hide them from the world. They do not swell and press against the mouth. They live in the heart, and the longer they are kept, the heavier they become.

It is better to have a mouthful of poison than a secret of the heart. Any fool will spit out poison, but we hoard these painful treasures. We swallow hard against them every day, forcing them deep inside us. There they sit, growing heavier, festering. Given enough time, they cannot help but crush the heart that holds them."...

Armadillo

I agree it is fun to see how people chose their names. I didn't put much thought into mine, it just popped into my head and yet it fits. The way I was thinking of an Armadillo is this kind of blah ugly animal with a hard protective shell that sort of waddles through life hiding and surviving. But after choosing this name I learned they are actually kind of cute and furry under it all and also that they have some wicked sharp looking claws. So under it all maybe there's more to me than just someone who rolls up in a ball and hides under a shell. Maybe I do have the tools to protect myself and fight back and maybe I can be vulnerable and soft too.

combatwombat

My honeymoon was to Sydney, Australia, where I happened to buy a cute little wombat plush toy. That wombat was just the right size for throwing at loved ones when they were being silly. Hence he became combatwombat. 29 years later, the name gets more exercise than the wombat does  :bigwink:

BeeKeeper

Started out here as "BeHea1thy". My avatar was a Pink Panther face, kind of impish. I named myself for what I wanted to be, and the substitution of the number 1 for the letter "l" was a reminder that putting myself at the top of my priority list was a good idea.

BeeKeeper was assigned to me, and has special significance since my D has a business and her logo is based on a bee! Either way, we are meant to keep ourselves healthy, first and gently foremost.

Bodhi_§

Hi everybody,

My username Bodhi comes from Bodhisattva and is something I picked while browing on Buddhism. I hope I can one day be a person who achieves this.  :)