Taking a long view

• 2 Replies

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
Taking a long view
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:15:12 AM »
I havent posted much for a year or so.

I want to say that in the 4/5 years since I left my dreadful employer my mental anguish has been getting less damaging.

I am not sure what has helped with this, certainly not health professionals or medication.

I believe three things helped, one was immersing myself in my story until I felt I had understood what happened, this was actually very distressing and difficult.

The second was living away from further harm, I live very quietly and over time the repetitive routine of my rather isolated life has helped to calm me.

The third element was taking steps to regain some control, since leaving my employer I have obtained a pension, won a court case and have further actions underway. These steps have allowed me to regain a sense that I am not helpless after all, my bullies can be tackled.

This post may not help others as everyone's situation is different and I now see that I was fortunate to find a path that seems to be leading me away from the suffering of the past.

For a long time I couldn't see any way to come to terms with things, I felt hopeless.

More recently I have reached an understanding with myself, while I dont welcome nightmares, sleepless nights and periods of depression I dont find them as upsetting as I used to.

My version of recovery may simply be understanding and learning to live with poor mental health, but it does feel like a small achievement, one I didn't expect to manage.

Hope67

• View Profile
Re: Taking a long view
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 08:43:09 AM »
Hi Rainagain,
It's helped me to read your post today, and see your progress, and thank you for sharing it.  There are many positives within what you've written, and I'm glad you're free of your dreadful employer and that things have been better than before. 

Hope  :)

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a long view
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:31:52 AM »
Thank you for your reply hope,

When I first found this site I couldn't see any way forward for me, it has taken years but it is possible to carry on, I just wanted others to hear that, especially if they are lost like I was.

The suffering is so great, nobody else seems to understand, I feel so much warmth and empathy for all of us on here, and gratitude for kind replies at a time I had nobody to turn to.

I would like everyone who has ever replied to my posts to take a moment and feel good about what they have done for me when I was at my lowest.