Bouncy Leg?

Started by CactusFlower, February 21, 2021, 06:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CactusFlower

So, I'm sitting here and I realize I'm doing that thing I've done for years, where I just bounce one leg up and down while I sit there. Sometimes for hours. Then I recall that a cousin once noticed it decades ago and mentioned my uncle does it too. (not their dad, another uncle). That particular uncle, according to mom, used to have problems with depression and was a little bit of a control freak.
Does anyone else unconsciously bounce their leg, and have you noticed if there's any reason why you do it? Just curious that I have the depression thing in common with the other person who does this. It's not the only way I fidget, but it's the least annoying.

Sage

Not Alone

I've noticed that since I started therapy and dealing with my issues, a lot of times my leg bounces.

Bella

I don't know for sure, but I do think it might have something to do with the body always being on high alert, and in a state of unrest when you have CPTSD. I too find my legs being bouncy from time to time, especially if I'm particularly anxious about something, or in triggering situations.
The fact that valium/diazepam (don't know if that's the name of the medicine in other countries) helps with the restlessness in my legs, I take that as a sign that my nervous system is the cause of it. It can be seen as a fight/flight response I guess.

I also get this tingling and numb sensation in my legs and arms when I feel overwhelmed. My therapist says it's because my brain "switch off" my body in order for me to cope with the situation. I've probably done this most of my life without knowing it.
This is more of a freeze response.
Like I said, I wouldn't know for sure. I'm not a therapist of any kind, but I've read a bit about it, and to me it sounds logical.
Don't know if this made sense...

CactusFlower

Bella, it did make sense. I think I've always seen mine as part of that "being told to be still" and rebelling against that.
Sage