Do you have a "worst time of day"?

Started by CactusFlower, March 01, 2021, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CactusFlower

For the days where a trigger doesn't happen, do you have a "worst time of day?"

I tend to have stuff come up once I've laid down for the night. Even if my day was boring and average, once I go to bed, that limnal state is when my mind starts racing. Intrusive thoughts happen at this time, memories come up, etc. It's like my mind says, "Ahhhh... We're relaxing now. Guess that means you're good to go on processing this, right? BLAM here you go, then."

It can be so aggravating.
Sage

woodsgnome

My toughest time is usually the nightfall scenario you mention, CactusFlower.

My version of dusk-time danger involves hearing disembodied  'voices' from my past. These resemble echoes, I guess, and consist of the types of things my FOO and other abusers used to belittle me with. These voices can blend to where it feels like I'm surrounded by a pack of wolves about to descend on me once more.

For years, I floundered at this; usually just disappearing under sheets, covering my ears with pillows, etc. It was terrifying. I'm doing better these days, following a suggestion and encouragement from my T. Her idea seemed radical to me at first, but bottom line, I've found it works (though not always).

Her suggestion was to respond in kind, with shouts if necessary, similar to what they did to me. They're no longer really present so there's no conflict involved; just a release of my fears with this sort of in-kind return-the-favour activity. Fortunately I live alone so feel free to create my own response. In 'normal' life, I'm neither violent or vocal; but this seems helpful, and as my T notes, it's returning, in a sense, what was done to me. 

Of course what worked for me might not be effective for someone else. Like much of our coping, it might even seem a bit radical, but having been on the edge of 'reality' for so long, what used to seem strange isn't always the case.

I hope your night-falls can find an element of peace.  :hug:

Bermuda

I also have a low-point. For me it starts directly after dinner and lasts until sleep. It doesn't matter whether I am busy or have slowed down. It's a wall.

It is certainly frustrating. That is also the time I am most active on this forum. Strange coincidence.

I sympathise with your aggravation. I wish I had coping strategies to offer but alas I only have unhealthy ones.

SharpAndBlunt

Hi, this is an interesting topic to me. I've wondered why for a long time, but mid-afternoon, between lunch and dinner is my worst time. I often am overcome with sadness and even pain and I sometimes feel unable to do anything. I often wonder why that is.

jamesG.1

Gromit

I used to ruminate in the shower, I think it began when I was ill, I got very depressed and that was my time, alone, to cry.

Then, I would be hit with feelings of sadness, being alone when I walked home after taking my children to school.

Or, after collecting them when I am trying to prepare food, an inward feeling of shaking.

Now it is the days when I wake too early, cannot get back to sleep, and may have had a nightmare so I feel too hot, uncomfortable, tired,

Or sometimes, in the evening, I find my breathing is out of kilter, I feel short of breath and the yawning cycle starts up.

Lots of different times depending on circumstances I guess.

Wow.

Armadillo

I really struggle with transitions...like a toddler.  ;D

I both love and hate early morning after I am awake but still lying in bed. It's when I process things I guess memories and what not so sometimes it's rough but since I don't have very good memory i also enjoy it? That's also the time of day i was getting hallucinations or flashbacks not sure for a couple months.

Then i really have a hard time getting started working sometimes for several hours. My brain is trying to be past and present at once. It doesn't work. I need better routines. But dont have that kind of discipline.

sarals

Once it hits about 5 / 6 pm for me.  I'm on medication and, under the supervision of my psychiatrist, have been taking a small extra dose of this at lunch time and at dinner time and this seems to help keep this at bay a little.  The only way I've been able to explain it to other people is by comparing it to the period of time after a loved one has died and you wake up in the morning and for a few seconds things are normal and then a wave of reality, and grief hits you and everything is wrong and too hard to contemplate moving forward.  That wave is what seems to happen out of a relatively ok day.