Meds for PTSD

Started by Pioneer, March 26, 2021, 08:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioneer

I thought about just updating my previous thread about upping my antidepressant but I have some additional info to add so I decided to just start a new one instead. I did talk to my primary care provider about a month ago, after having some very scary and debilitating rough days, about increasing my citalopram which has overall been so helpful. We decided to increase it from 20 to 30mg. And that has been immensely helpful for me emotionally. I am handling life so much better. Though, of course, there are still big challenges and lots of healing ahead.

I did notice, though, after about a week of the increase that I was having some odd headaches. They were different from ones I felt before. It's been a numb, tingly, pressure headache and it obviously comes on with stress - pretty easily, and I've had a lot of stress. It was getting to where I felt really fuzzy and exhausted. And I was scheduled to see a nurse at the facility where I just started meeting with a good therapist, but the nurse is really booked and I can't see her right away. So, I went to see my PCP who prescribed my citalopram.

I had done a tiny bit of research ahead of time and found an article about a study done for treating PTSD with citalopram and baclofen, which is a muscle relaxer. And that had showed helpful benefits. I talked to my PCP about that and she said she'd read studies about baclofen and thought that would help me. And it does! It hasn't completely taken away the headaches. But I think overtime and as I work to decrease my stress they will get better. It is definitely worth dealing with some headache issues and continuing the 30mg of citalopram. I feel much safer emotionally and happier this way. One step at a time. And I wanted to share that in case its helpful for anyone else.

:grouphug:

Kizzie

Glad it worked so well for you Pioneer, I had the same results. Several years ago I was really depressed, almost unable to get out of bed due to that and social anxiety and a psychiatrist I saw switched me from Prozac to 20 then 30 mgs of Celexa.

Within 2 weeks I felt so much better and was able to rejoin the world.  I still have issues with relationships (mistrust), but I don't have the social anxiety or depression I did then.

Of course it a bit hit and miss when it comes to meds and what works for each person, but glad to hear you got the same degree of relief I did. It doesn't mask the issues I have to deal with, it just helps me to not be incapacitated by depression and social anxiety so I can get on with recovery work and life.

Pioneer

Thanks for sharing, Kizzie  :hug: I'm glad it's been really helpful for you, too! It does make a really big difference to have some of that anxiety and depression lifted. And as you mentioned and Blueberry mentioned one time, meds don't take the place of recovery and healing because you still have to walk through the healing process and do the hard work and it takes time. Yet the meds help me tremendously and make it easier to do that recovery work.

Kizzie

Bella

How awesome medication help you on your healing journey! Really happy for you! I have been very sceptical to any form of medication, but had the same experience as you after being admitted to the psych ward for suicide prevention. While getting talk-therapy for my depression, I also started on Bupropion, and I remember feeling like blocks of concrete had been removed from my legs! I could move again. But before this medication they did put me on something else, which made me feel even more like a zombie, and in addition had some disturbing side-effects.  I have some thoughts/questions about that, but I'll start a new thread.
Except for one comment I made a couple of days ago, I haven't been on the forum for a while..  I realise I really miss you all...  :heythere: :grouphug:

Kizzie

Hey Bella, glad to see you back  :heythere:    :grouphug:

Pioneer

Hey, Bella!  :heythere: It is good to see you! Thanks for your note about your experiences. I'm glad you were helped by medication! That's amazing that you felt all that weight off your legs. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a med before that, though.

I was very scared to start medication. More than anything just scared to go talk to someone about why I needed it. But once I was desperate enough and had done some research about antidepressants and had also found a provider I felt comfortable with and had my supportive husband go with me (I couldn't have by myself) I was excited to see if it helped. And it sure did! I think it's normally supposed to take a week or longer to be able to tell a difference, but I could tell a chemical difference in me in about 15 minutes! My body was just ready for it, I guess. And while getting it into my system and getting the right dosage all took time, it has been an amazing help.
:grouphug:

Bella

Kizzie and Pioneer: Thank you!  :hug:
It's amazing really, that a pill can have such great effect! Even though it's not the whole answer, it can defenetly be a part of the solution.
Really happy for you!