New here- and so frustrated

Started by Lunamum, April 28, 2021, 09:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunamum

Hello. I'm new here and really hoping that joining this community will help me to feel less alone. I was diagnosed with CPTSD two weeks ago, although I had suspected for a while before that. My diagnosis came at the end of 2 years of therapy (amazing time- obut this therapist has now retired!) during which time I'd finally been open about the events of my childhood and allowed myself to FEEL. The only problem with that last bit is also feelings the uncomfortable feelings, which having been frozen for so long, can sometimes get out of control.
My diagnosis came after a meeting with a psych that took me 2 years to fight for. He diagnosed, made one meds suggestion and then announced my discharge from the team. With online CBT to do.  Which I can't do cos I have the concentration span of a gnat.
So now I have a diagnosis but no help in place. And self help alone is not working.  I really miss my counsellor. It all feels rather hopeless.
I've never met anyone (except my sister) with CPTSD, so looking forward to getting to know people on here.

Jazzy

Hi Lunamum,

I'm sorry things are difficult for you right now. What you've described with your T retiring, and psych discharging you certainly sounds very frustrating. I wish that psych did a better job of helping you! I know it's a lot, but maybe you can find a new T to work with? In the mean time, there is a lot of great information and people here, which may be helpful to you. Self help is more difficult, especially when it is so hard to concentrate, but it still does help!

All the best with your healing journey! I hope to see you around. :)

Not Alone

Lunamum, glad that you found OOTS. Thank you for posting. I hear your frustration. I hope that you feel less alone as you read others' posts and as you share, at the rate that feels comfortable to you. Welcome.  :heythere:

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS, glad you found us Lunamom  :heythere:  I am so sorry you were diagnosed, given online CBT as your recommended therapy and then promptly dropped from 'care'.  It's important in relational trauma to get treatment from another human being. It's not rocket science but those in the funding and MH health sectors don't seem to get it or don't want to because to acknowledge our needs would take much more effort and $$$.

Anyway, not to blather on. We do have a list of searchable databases for therapists from around the world here - https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=881.0.  Sadly most don't say who treats CPTSD specifically, but that's beginning to change.  For example, I just located a list of T's in the UK who do and added that to the list a day or so ago - Directory of UK therapists who treat Complex Trauma.  Hopefully we'll begin to see this around the world as MH professionals catch on we need them to identify themselves to us.

Hope this helps  :yes:

Lunamum

Thanks for replies guys. It is a relief to know that someone out there gets it. Xx

Lunamum

Ps reached out to a potential new T as recognise I'm spiralling right now. Could do without the expense but it's my only option right now.

Not Alone

Quote from: Lunamum on May 02, 2021, 05:58:25 PM
Ps reached out to a potential new T as recognise I'm spiralling right now. Could do without the expense but it's my only option right now.

If it would be helpful to you, let us know how it goes.

Kizzie