My T sees big improvement

Started by Pioneer, May 05, 2021, 04:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioneer

I was able to get a really good therapist several weeks ago who seems to have a lot of experience with trauma. I am feeling so thankful. We have been meeting most weeks, and gradually I have opened up more to her. I seem to be trusting her more and more. Yay  :cheer:

She told me during our last session that since the time we started meeting she has seen a really big improvement. And I believe her. I know that have started genuinely smiling some during sessions, I don't laugh quite as often when I get nervous, I think I am actually hearing her questions a bit better instead of avoiding them  ;D And I even called her up during a big trigger one day and she helped me process it.

I have a journey of recovery ahead of me - I am feeling encouraged by the progress so far.

For some reason, I was tickled by this exchange at my last therapy session:
Therapist: For every year of trauma it takes 4 years of recovery.
Me (with a pondering look, and picturing myself reaching age 120 before I've healed): Am I even going to live that long?!  :))
Therapist: That's what I'm saying, it's a lifelong process. And you're in that process.
:))
And then she proceeded to tell me that she has seen a big difference.

Blueberry

:cheer: for more trust.  :cheer: for big improvement
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Kizzie

Glad to hear this Pioneer! :thumbup:   The 120 year thing is a bit daunting :aaauuugh:  but I've come to accept that it's an ongoing journey  :)

Pioneer

Thanks Kizzie and Blueberry!  It is good to let out that the progress is there, and to remind myself and be encouraged by it when days are rough.

Jazzy

Quote from: Pioneer
...It is good to let out that the progress is there, and to remind myself and be encouraged by it when days are rough.

This right here!  :thumbup:

Glad to hear you're improving Pioneer, that's great!  :cheer:

I agree with the underlying point your psychiatrist was trying to make, that it can be (likely is  ???)  a lifelong process to heal from trauma. However, the 4 years per trauma estimate is quite inaccurate in my experience. It's "only" taken me about 5 years, and I'm inexplicably better than I ever have been before. Now, to be fair, that's 5 years of pretty intensive self-therapy, after making massive changes in my life for the better.... but still!

Keep up the good work, and I expect you'll be in much better shape before you're 120 years old!

Congratulations on your progress!  :applause:

Pioneer

Thanks, Jazzy!! I'm really glad to hear that you are doing so much better after 5 years! I am happy for you, and it's encouraging to hear. I agree, I think that I will continue to see good progress as it builds on itself.

And I will see a lot more progress before I'm 120  :))