I've resigned!

Started by Rainydaze, May 12, 2021, 02:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainydaze

Eek, I've finally handed in my notice. I have a little e-commerce business I've been building up (or trying to) over the past 5 years and I'm leaving to concentrate on doing that full time. I was feeling really anxious about having to go back to sitting in an office (having had over a year of working from home and being able to have quiet time and regular breaks when needed), so it was the push I needed to go for it.

Have just done the hard bit of doing the dreaded phone call and emailing across the formal letter. Now I'm sitting here kinda thinking, "Err, what have I just done?" lol  :spooked:

My business venture might work or it might go spectacularly wrong, but with lockdown easing here really steaming ahead I don't think I would ever have left until I really pushed myself to. I hope I've done the right thing!  :Idunno:

HomerJ

Good Luck! I hope it goes well for you

Not Alone

Regardless of what happens in the future, you made a courageous decision, so good for you.

Rainydaze

Thank you, it wasn't an easy decision and I have mixed emotions at the moment. I was working at the same company as my husband and although it worked well on the most part, I was starting to feel trapped in another person's schedule (i.e. we lift shared and if he got delayed by two hours at the end of the day then that automatically meant I lost two hours of my evening too). The commute was long and stressful for a part time job, plus in the office I felt like I was sitting in a goldfish bowl in front of a big window with a security camera positioned above my desk which could be viewed on a monitor upstairs (I don't think this was intentional, it was more for everyone to see the front door when reception isn't covered...still not comfortable with it though). I was allowed to take my dog in with me due to her separation anxiety and being unable to be left alone, which sounds nice in theory but she was so hyper vigilant about people coming and going and barking at the front door that it ended up putting me on edge. The job itself is pretty boring too with no prospect of doing anything different or being promoted, so although it's all 'safe' and good in that respect, it's felt like I've been stagnating for a long time.

That said, the managing director just phoned me and afterwards I started crying because he was so complimentary and genuinely sounded regretful about me leaving. I really thought he didn't like me or value me that much. Stupid anxiety and low self worth has clearly been lying to me. I think it's really hit me because I've had myself convinced that I'm 'bad', not that capable and that I won't be missed, whereas they're saying the exact opposite and coming across as really genuine. I still think I've probably made the right decision, but I feel really sad now. A big part of it is just fear of change and insecurity about my own capabilities to generate an income I think - it's overwhelming!

Blueberry

Courageous decision on your part. I love the response from your managing director. Way to go, you're a valued employee! You can be a capable, successful self-employed person instead.  :hug:

Rainydaze

Thank you so much Blueberry.  :) :hug:

jamesG.1

Fantastic move. Really well done.

Hope it goes fantastically well for you. Have faith in yourself, research the living daylights out of youtube and go make yourself a living.

best

J

Kizzie

Way to go Blues :thumbup: :applause:    Cheering you on to success  :cheer:

CactusFlower

Congrats! May this be a step forward and upwards for you.