Repeat After Me: A Workbook for Adult Children

Started by Wisteria777, June 29, 2021, 04:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisteria777

The full title is Repeat After Me: A Workbook for Adult Children Overcoming Dysfunctional Family Systems

Thanks to Cactus Flower for suggesting I post about this one. Here's the link with full details from Amazon. I purchased the Kindle edition: https://www.amazon.com/Repeat-After-Me-Overcoming-Dysfunctional/dp/1942094779/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=repeat+after+me&qid=1624983515&sr=8-2

This one isn't CPTSD-specific, and it's very much a workbook (though I admit I'm not really keeping the journal because I'm not ready to write down a lot of what this workbook is bringing up). I'm only on the second chapter, but something interesting came up for me in Chapter One. The book asks us to visualize our childhood home and to associate which rooms made us feel happy, afraid, or sad. Then to do the same thing for our current home. I realized that when I felt afraid, I leave the house, like I literally had to run away, and I do the same thing now.

Has anyone else read this one?

CactusFlower

I haven't read it, but it certainly looks interesting. However, how does one choose "one's childhood home" when you moved at least every year and can't remember what all the houses even looked like? Still, it's going on the wish list. Thanks for posting about this one!

Kizzie

I haven't read this but I remember Claudia Black quite well from when I was in the Adult Children of Alcoholics program. Hers was one of the first books I read about dysfunctional families, that I related to and started down the path to finding out about the relational trauma I suffered as a child.

Her perspective was really helpful to me although didn't quite hit all the reasons I was having difficulty in my adults years, mostly because her writing was confined to ACOA.  I see she has gone beyond that now to children of trauma (vs dysfunction due to addiction) so I think the book could be quite relevant and useful. 

Maybe you could let us know what you think as you go along Wisteria?

Wisteria777

Kizzie, will do!

CactusFlower, good point. The author suggested concentrating on one particular place if you moved a lot in childhood.

Kizzie

CactusFlower

Wisteria, Amazon's "look inside" feature really doesn't show much to tell me about the types of exercises. Would you be willing to give a few random examples? I have the Complex PTSD workbook by Arielle Schwartz, but I feel a little stalled in it because I'm not doing all those various types of therapy.
Thanks!