Needle and Thread with...

Started by BeeKeeper, July 06, 2021, 03:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CactusFlower

Apparently, the concept of counter space in a house from the 30's was nonexistent. LOL. I have one of those sets of stacking plastic drawers where I keep a lot of my creative supplies, and a rubbermaid container holds yarn. I do tend to have things in lots of places, though. My crochet hooks and a half-finished artsy blanket are in a fabric storage cube under my desk. painting supplies are in one of those drawers. I have a small plastic drawer stack that sits on my desk for all my pens. (like, fineliners in 1 drawers, sharpies in another, Microns in another, gel pens, fountain pens, pencils, etc) Notebooks everywhere. A shoebox under my desk decorated with stickers to store the tiny toys I bought for my Inner Child. (like jars of slime, some lego dolls, squishies, stickers, etc) I don't tend to leave things out on my desk due to room, especially as the blanking keyboard slider shelf broke a few days ago so my keyboard is now on top of the desk. My mom was huge into paper art/cards and such when she was alive so there used to be a TON of die cuts, papers, ephemera, Tim Holtz supplies, alcohol inks you name it. But when she passed, I just couldn't, so I donated it all to a senior center to enjoy.

I do projects spontaneously, yes. If I'm not in a mood to paint, I won't. I'm not crocheting at the moment cause it isn't fun when it's 90 degrees. I might decide to do something, then have to plan the execution (like, ooo, I want to make a cardigan, so I need to get X amount of certain yarn...) Honestly, I haven't done much since starting this healing journey just because it's taken up so much brain space and energy. I hope that changes, but we'll see. I'm not forcing it.

BeeKeeper

Fantastic post Cactus Flower. I did stumble at first on this:

Quotethe blanking keyboard slider shelf broke
:blink: What is "blanking"  :bigwink: Got it.

Yes, you sound exactly like the way I've done things here, there and everywhere. Yeah, I can relate to (not) using your Mom's stuff, really. I love your description of the toys for your inner child. Legos! stickers! If I can, incorporate my toys into my space, but only one has made it so far. Oh, be still my heart: inks, dies, papers, gel inks, microns, pencils, I save containers of bead tubes, clear top acrylic containers, flip top containers. You just never know when you'll meet a tiny item that deserves it's very own spot! All my stuff is in some kind of (15 year old) Jet Max cube with shelves, or fabric drawers. I've appropriated cosmetic containers for needle storage, sewing supplies etc. Just because they market for one purpose, doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Yes, I can relate to the energy is takes to plan, execute and finish a project, especially in the light to allowing healing and recovery and self-care to be #1 on the daily agenda. I like that you're not forcing it; as it should be.

BeeKeeper

I think I've learned my OOTS lesson attachment. Only the lowest possible resolution is accepted. Using the old Panasonic Lumix point and shoot, copying to desktop, downloading then placing in post. Whew! A lot of work!

It is a necklace with a fringed amulet purse made with:
cylindrical beads (Delicas)
round beads  sizes 8-11
Precosia crystals
fire polished crystals,
lentils
bugle beads (long thin beads on top border)

Later will post my two previous. Now, I'm starting to want one in turquoise!  :yes:

CactusFlower

*gasp* Bee, that is GORGEOUS!

BeeKeeper

Thank you Cactus Flower. It is one of my better pieces.

I started out with a paid tutorial in person, then, decided to ditch some instructions and do it my own way. This has been in my closet and I tried to donate it for a library fundraiser. My offer was dropped or ignored. I kept it. Now I have it on my wall and a very tiny spark of turquoise desire has been lit. Perhaps I'll continue.

CactusFlower

They either don't know what they missed or didn't know how to clearly state what they were looking for. I can think of several art places and shows in my state where beading like that would be entered. :) I look forward to the other stuff you make!

bluepalm

Beekeeper your necklace is absolutely beautiful - a true work of art. What a lovely talent to have to be able to make such beauty with your hands. Since I've started crocheting my old arthritic fingers have become much more nimble so I'm tempted to find some tutorials online and have a go myself. I'd love to make a necklace for each of my granddaughters. Thank you for giving me inspiration to investigate another creative activity.

BeeKeeper

:grouphug:

Cactus Flower, thank you for the vote of confidence.

bluepalm,

thank you for the appreciation and the thoughtful and encouraging comments. The more you use your hands, the better their mobility and coordination. Crocheting is a great outlet with so many possibilities. Give in to temptation and scout out tutorials. Don't forget to search key terms outside of YouTube too because lots of people have blogs and sites where they show step by step still photos of their process.

Necklaces for granddaughters can be so satisfying! I found some little ceramic letters, strung them on braid and also color coated thin leather and made one for my granddaughter and grandson! They were thrilled. It's a joy to see their cute faces lit up with excitement.

Below is an image of my favorite soothing bird fabric, which comes not from S Korea, but Pakistan. I have a foam core covered board above my work space for a color wheel and notes.

CactusFlower

absolutely, crocheting is great! I found a lot of super useful videos on youtube that showed how the different stitches were done, so I could pause, repeat, etc. Bella Coco crochet is great because she's one of the few who has both left and right-handed tutorials. she and a few others also go nice and slow on their tutorials with a clear view of everything. And there is some crocheting (especially jewelry) that can include beads!  Other great tutorials on youtube are by:
simplydaisy
naztazia
kristin's crochet tutorials
jayda in stitches
moogly

I also recommend ravelry.com for thousands of free and paid patterns, community, and great support of diversity.

BeeKeeper

Absolutely 100% for Ravelry!!!!  :cheer:

Thanks for the names of resources Cactus Flower. That is very thoughtful.  :hug:

BeeKeeper

The attachment below is a sample of Japanese braiding (on a hand held disk) with various materials.

1.    Spiral braid-7 strand: variegated hand dyed rayon rat tail size #1, 6 ply cotton, Krenik metallic thread.
2.    Spiral braid 7 strand: 12 ply silk, Krenik metallic 1/8" ribbon
3.    Spiral braid 8 strand: variegated rayon rat tail, size #1
4.    Spiral braid 8 strand: waxed cotton craft cord
5.    Spiral braid 8 strand: domestic soutache, rayon rat tail, sizes #0 and #1, variegated dyed gimp
6.    Spiral braid 8 strand: rayon rat tail, size #1
7.    Spiral braid 8 strand: rayon craft cord
8.    Round braid 8 strand: variegated rayon rat tail size #2
9.    Spiral braid 16 strand: waxed cotton craft cord
10:  Spiral braid 16 strand: 2 ply cotton embroidery thread
11.  Square braid 8 strand: rayon rat tail, size #0
12.  Flat braid 8 strand: rayon rat tail size #0, variegated 2 ply cotton embroidery thread
13.  Flat braid 8 strand: Korean knotting cord

BeeKeeper

The act of digging out the braid samples has spurred me on to make a new one as a necklace to hold an experimental pendant in white. I've talked a lot about the silliness of wearing my snowflake earrings in the summer-as though the fashion police would issue a citation. To date, they are the only white earrings I have, so too bad. Here they are.

CactusFlower

So awesome! I finally see the braid pics. I personally like 4 and 6 for the way the color spirals, and 8 for the just... chunky-ness and sheen. Wear those earrings whenever you want! As snowflakes, as little white edelweiss flowers, as a magical charm against the heatwaves, (lol), whatever. They're stunning.

BeeKeeper

Thanks Sage.

These have special meaning for me. I abandoned my beading, and desire to create anything for over a year. I bought this pendant kit to kick my patootie and to use tile beads I'd never used before. I like it so much, I got a second kit, and made earrings. The great part is that I had planned to give these away, and then thought, Nope, these are mine.  The perspective of a charm against the heatwaves appeals to me.  :sunny:

Braids 4 and 6 are good at illustrating their spiral essence. I was pleasantly surprised with 8 chunky-ness too.

BeeKeeper

here we are in AUGUST! so, let's get creative and start something small.   :yes:

bluepalm, this may be for you.....

Attached in the photo below is a mini round foam Kumihimo disk, by BeadSmith $7 on Amazon, 4.5 inches, which means it's easily held in both hands without a lot of fiddling around. The foam is 3/8" inch thick, which is perfect.

I'm using Caron Watercolor 3-ply pima cotton, hand painted. The lavender is called Clematis and the nearly white Banana. (???) there is no yellow in it, just white, cream and faint, faint lavender. 

A 7 strand braid is "easiest" to make because the method is so automatic. Place fiber, rotate, place fiber, rotate. You can lose yourself in the motions, and for fingers and hands that have felt the passage of time and pain, it's good for brief times.

I used to make braids with embroidery floss, and that was slow going. I want something faster, done the same day (HAH!) and ready to wear soon. I'm happy to act as teacher, mentor, cheerleader, whatever. I've taught this to kids, adults and myself!

Long fibers are wrapped around clear plastic disks, (bobbins) like the silly hair curlers in bygone days. The edges flip up and then down. The fibers are fed from the wrapped bobbins as the braid is made. The mesh bag is filled with glass flower beads, most people put them in vases to hold the bouquet. This acts as a weight to aid gravity as the braid is formed and to pull it down out of the way. The bag will be attached to the knotted strands in the middle of the hole. Placement of the fibers at each position determines the pattern of the braid.

For now, I've used a clip to hold all the fiber strands together. I'm reserving tying a knot and attaching the weight to see what pattern I get. Stay tuned. You can get an idea of how it works here; https://www.lythastudios.com/123bead/kumiplanner.html