Needle and Thread with...

Started by BeeKeeper, July 06, 2021, 03:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluepalm

Hi BeeKeeper - this is intriguing. I've not tried anything like this before. It holds promise of being a way to make jewellery for my grand-daughters so I will bookmark your link to remind me where to go. Thanks so much for your explanation.
Bluepalm

BeeKeeper

You're welcome Bluepalm

Kids seem to like making friendship bracelets, so maybe everyone can do it together!  :bigwink:

Well, Big Reveal~it's "done." The circular bail that connects the pendant to the braid is made up of silver lined 6mm bugle beads. Two tries before I got it right. I learned a lot and that's the main thing. Onward.

bluepalm

That is truly beautiful work BeeKeeper.  Inspiring!

BeeKeeper

Thanks bluepalm!

My little Sunday experiment with circular peyote. I felt locked in by wearing my snowflake earrings in the midst of a heatwave,  with no other "white earring" choices. Those little 6mm bugle beads at the edge are my favorite. This reminds me of my mandala phase, combined with my holiday ornament styles.

This is the only time I've completely finished (stiffener) the same day I made them. Wooo! Like putting laundry away the minute it's out of the dryer.  :applause:

bluepalm

BeeKeeper they are marvellous. I couldn't see the detail until I enlarged the image and as I did my mouth opened and a puff of air came out as if I'm saying - How did you do that? How did you make such gorgeous little earrings?  Genuine admiration.
bluepalm

BeeKeeper

Thank you so much for the lovely post bluepalm.  That little puff of air, amazement and wonder is what I do it for. As to how I do it, well, how much time do you have? In a nutshell I started beading as a distraction from grief, (it's even in my business name!) Being a detail oriented recovering perfectionist, I love going down the rabbit hole of pattern construction, often making up my own. There, other things seem small compared to conquering some "engineering process" and away we go! Add in a decade of messing around...and untold $ks of beads, tools and "education."

I ripped out the last 3 circles about 4 times. Good enough is something I allow myself now, in life and in beading, It takes me time to appreciate it but once I do, I feel that comfort.

bluepalm

BeeKeeper I love what you say here: 'Good enough is something I allow myself now, in life and in beading, It takes me time to appreciate it but once I do, I feel that comfort.'

I've been on this journey from striving for perfection to accepting 'good enough' too. Now I feel that 'good enough', something made with the imperfections left in, is actually a warmer, better and more human result. A machine can give perfection. Humans are imperfect - that's what connects us.

BeeKeeper

bluepalm,

I really appreciate your comments! in particular the contrast between human craft and machines.... :thumbup: That brought it home to me in a way I haven't thought about before. Thanks!

I am proud to announce I have successfully threaded my serger with 4 same color threads, discovered how both sides of the bottom open to do so, and have made a trial overlock edge on extra curtain fabric. I HAD to do this now because the afternoon sun here is beastly!  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Now it looks like I'll be able to make progress and maybe even have 4 panels done or half done by the weekend. No attachments here because the thread is cream and the fabric is cream and the resolution of attachments is really low, so it wouldn't show up anyway. Nevertheless it's beautiful to me.  :bigwink:

BeeKeeper

Continuing the braiding with more Caron Watercolor threads. It helps my shoulder function, is enjoyable and "cheap". I'm going into the blues and greens now: Photo is of cotton thread only

Top: Mint Julep
Middle: Sea Foam
Bottom: Sea Glass

The second attachment is my open pendant with 90 beads forming the center "row". I discovered my guesstimate was faulty, based it on a multiple of 60 divisible by 3. You really can't tell.  :bigwink:

CactusFlower

So beautiful and all my favorite colors! It's very calming to look at these. :)

Armee

They really are beautiful. Love the color combos.

bluepalm

Beekeeper, that pendant is gorgeous - beautifully done.  :cheer:

BeeKeeper

Thanks bluepalm,

I've kept it close on the work table, because it is going to grow into something, not quite sure yet.

Armee and Sage, yes, calming blues and greens.  :zzz:

I bit the bullet and have put everything on bobbins to create my new braid. Even have it all in a pouch with scissors so I can do it anywhere. Of course, that's where it stopped! Good news though. I've made my way through 3 days of clean up and sorting, so TODAY just might be the day!  Kind of feel like Rip Van Winkle. Did I really just spend 8 months semi-conscious?

:grouphug:

BeeKeeper

18 inches of braid done yesterday-the result is  :thumbup: I cant' recall being more enthused about a braid or the colors. I'm loving Caron Watercolors and see (pun intended!) a collection in my future. Along the length, it subtly changes and actually appears "shimmery."

bluepalm