CTSD

Started by Jazzy, July 08, 2021, 03:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzy

I just had the important realization that all of my traumas are not post. They are an everyday experience that I live through. While they are much better than they were, and many of them are in the past, I am still suffering every day.

I don't like the "post" in CPTSD. I'm not sure about it in PTSD either, though I do understand why it is there. I find that regardless of how accurate or inaccurate it is, it diminishes my current suffering. This makes it worse, instead of better. How terrible the very name of the disorder leads to worsening it.

I'd like to hear what you think about this, even if it does not agree with my thoughts. :)

CactusFlower

That's actually a very good observation. I haven't thought about that before, but it makes sense. I get it in the regular PTSD because that tends to be defined as caused by a singular past event, like war or something that has an end point for that person. But it's true for us that Post is pretty difficult, as any current trauma is experienced differently depending on our past. For example, I have great anxiety being in a car on the highway. Have i ever been in a highway accident? No.  But I've been in others, and it changed how I now react to anything, including potentials like begin cut off and stuff. To explain, I don't drive. I never got a driver's license for various reasons, so I've never driven or owned a car. But every accident I've been in has been on my side as a passenger. So yeah, it's not really "post"for me.

I agree with you. I mean, we're not going to get the name changed, but we can definitely define it for ourselves as we live it.

Jazzy

Thank you for sharing Sage, I can see that took a lot.

Quote from: CactusFlower...we can definitely define it for ourselves as we live it.

This is my focus. It is far more important to me that we understand the reality of our situations, so that we can improve them, than what the official name is. :)

Blueberry

Actually there's an old thread on a better name for this beast than cptsd, from maybe 2-3 years ago. And your point that this beast is not 'post' but still around featured quite big in the discussion. I'll see if I can find it and link. There's one here, started before my time on the forum actually: https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=6758.0

Here's a name change proposal Kizzie sent to the World Health Organisation: https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=8534.msg59302#msg59302

This is a short discussion on "post" alone: https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=8179.0

Here are the results of the polls Kizzie ran on every word in the diagnosis https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=8286.0

So you might like to check them for additional ideas, Jazzy. You can find e.g. my responses scattered around these linked threads.  :)

Jazzy

Thank you Blueberry :)

It is great to hear from you! I really appreciate your post here, particularly all the links you have included. The time you have invested tells me that the topic is very important to you, which leads to me feeling encouraged and motivated to do more to bring about positive change.

I am not sure yet how to do this, but I will certainly think about it more and try some things out! I feel my conviction will be very helpful to bringing about change, as that is something I've noticed happening quite a bit recently.

I am open to further ideas and suggestions. If nothing else, I will certain lend my voice in support and speak my mind on the matter.

<3 Niko

marti.325

Yes, I am interested in this redefinition. Defining what we go through on a continuing basis is part of healing. I want emotional neglect and abandonment to get more attention. I was fed, housed, clothed, and sent to school but without the presence of 2 beings to give me emotional feeding and attention, I am also very injured.  Their physical presence only added to the feeling of rejection and despair. Even my older sister and brother ( 11 and 7 years older ) got more attention because they had our paternal grandparents. I didn't.
I will continue to think about that "post-" part of the term. I agreed with Kizzie's word "injury" instead of "disorder"! Definitely. Because they know now that it is the body in addition to the mind that is injured in very definable ways!