Apologizing for our existance.... what an eye opening article

Started by MaggieMayCat, April 16, 2015, 12:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaggieMayCat

Posted this over on OOTF but thought it might be helpful over here at OOTS...

Found this out there in the ether - kind of like someone smacked me up side the head - a Homer kind of moment - DOH!

Found this nugget here - along with some other really good stuff:  https://afternarcissisticabuse.wordpress.com/page/2/

"Apologizing for our existence:

Its a sad state of affairs that a child would feel the need to assert their right to be here or have a childhood drive to PROVE that we're worth loving, but that's the reality of a narcissistic family dynamic. The things narcissists say out of rage for their children, in the presence of no witnesses, is beyond appalling. I recall having thoughts in grade school about being so thankful that abortion wasn't legal in the 60s. It's not that 5th graders really care about such lofty matters, it's just that the person I depended on and loved most, my mother, let me know repeatedly that I was very lucky abortion wasn't legal, because I wouldn't have been alive.  Recalling this reality in hindsight, allows me to feel the remorse and empathy for myself that I deserved. What my inner child went through was unfathomable.

What these messages, whether overt as in my above account, or insidious and covert, the message is the same:  WE MAY EXIST, BUT WE OUGHT TO FEEL LUCKY WE DO.

When you constantly feel you're being treated as an inconvenience or interruption to the perfectly supply driven life of a narcissist, you learn that the best way to live in that regime is to step aside and let the narcissist have the limelight.
No, a home is NOT a stage in a play or melodrama for normal people, but in a narcissistic family, the main seat at the table, the one who "earns" our keep, the top dog in our lives....is the narcissist and WE ALL KNOW IT. We're all there to fill our part in their play. We will behave how ever the narcissist has decided our role will be and we will NOT deviate from that, unless we want to incur the narcissist's rage.

Let's stop down for a moment and pay a brief word to "the narcissist's rage". Many people who don't live within the narc home, don't have a clue that the narcissist has a two faced personality. They see the "kind" "giving" blah blah image the narcissist presents to strangers and can never fathom that the same narcissist would be a terroristic tyrant at home.
Narcissistic rage isn't always the typical big, loud mouth event. It's more cruel than that. Narcissistic rage is more subdued and insidious. They'd much rather punish people by WITHHOLDING AND REFUSING TO GIVE what they know those people need from them. A narc parent will be subtly aggressive (raging) by showing the child they can disconnect emotionally from the child as if the child doesn't exist. They'll not show up, be on time or give full attention to the things that are important to the child. They'll disappear emotionally until the child begs for attention through acting out or acting up.

When children who have learned to feel that they don't want to rock the boat by "existing" grow up, they will not question or stand up to behaviors that cause us to feel unimportant or invalidated by others. Cheating will be tolerated, invalidation will be turned a blind eye to, a narcissist's double standard for treatment won't be questioned.

Empathizing:

Since narcissists don't possess empathy, how do we ever get to relax as children and FEEL that someone else really cares about the things that we do at times. When we've lost a pet, or been teased at school, if our parent is incapable of really feeling what we feel in response to these events, we are going to feel really disconnected from intimacy. When we are excited about that boy or girl that we've been crushing on, returns our affections – its going to hurt when we can't get our parent off social media or to stop taking pictures of themselves long enough to listen to us fully.

It hurts to have feelings about our parent's behavior that we know we can't ever be heard on. That we know deep down, this person, our parent, doesn't care enough about us to really hear us is so isolating and disconnecting. We start to realize on a deep level that, we will ONLY have the narcissist's full attention or care when it is convenient for them.
Lack of empathy strikes at the very feeling of being loved and cared about that it's impossible to feel the love of your parent if they are empathy impaired. The narcissist would argue that "they really care" about the people around them, but those people know that the narcissist only "cares" when it behooves them and that, that is not a genuine love for them in the least.

The key to re-parenting ourselves in this area is to recognize the disorder for what it is and not internalize this inability to care/ love on the narcissist's part as being a defect of our own that makes us "unlovable".

Trouble with Developing our True Identity:

Much like the narcissist, targets who grew up in a narcissistic regime, don't get a chance to fully explore who we truly are, until we are no longer under the influence of the narcissist's boundary busting methods of "telling us who we are". What the narcissist tells us we are, is skewed anyway. We know that through projection, the narcissist casts off the traits hated in themselves onto those closest to them, so when we're told we're SELFISH, it's nothing more than the narcissist accusing us, of what they are guilty of themselves.

But you can see, as a child, with such impressionable identities, being told again and again that you are something you're not, is going to make you believe it – whether it's true or not.

As a young child, I was told repeatedly by my narcissistic mother that I was "selfish". In fact, I was told I was selfish so frequently that I sometimes wondered if my name wasn't really "selfish little *". What this did to me, was gave me the message that selfish was bad, and I should never be "that kind of bad". I went on to consider my own selfishness in every interaction with everyone I had; and still do. I don't want to hurt others. I empathize with how hurtful it is to be selfishly shut out by someone's blindingly grand ego.

I didn't learn the important lesson that there is a certain level of "selfishness" that doesn't hurt anyone, that is a normal part of self care and isn't bad at all, I felt that it was my "duty" to never be selfish to others. The result? I couldn't say no to others and never questioned what that did to myself.  In fact, I barely thought of myself at all and was continually frustrated that I gave unselfishly but rarely received that from others. I learned that it was not MY JOB to take care of myself but that through unselfish service to others, someday I'd be loved.

If you are not allowed to be who you really are I think this is the pivotal identity issue that either creates a personality disordered identity vs. a strong, resilient surviving type of personality that rises through the ashes and thrives to survive despite all the abuse.

In my own case, I sought outside relationships with neighbors, teachers and clergy who allowed me to be my true identity. My strength of character pushed me to broaden my "frame of reference circle" or my "feedback loop" to encompass those who also lived in reality. My ability to tell the truth despite the terrible consequences of being shamed and shunned by a narcissist who didn't want to hear the truth, caused me to be the scapegoat in my family – my ability to call a spade a spade, allowed my true identity and authenticity to survive.

It's my thought that this resiliency trait that exists in me.  It exists in all survivors who have found their way here to the page, telling our truths about this abuse, willing to be honest, and accept responsibility for the things about ourselves that played into this abuse and allow us to make changes that prevent this from ever happening to us again as well as our willingness to be there for others who are hurting the hurts we've hurt and seek the same peaceful living that we seek.

As you can see in retrospect, the lessons we learned growing up in a narcissistic family are lessons that we need to unlearn now that we're adults so that we don't continue to choose partners who will repeat the abuse of our childhood. We also have a responsibility to protect our children from these patterns and do everything within our power to model HEALTHY parenting roles, boundaries, needs, unconditional love empathy and acceptance of who are children really are."

There are a couple of paragraphs that really hit home - the empathy or lack there of, how we never really get to relax and be children - that one really hit home; inability to say no or set boundaries - big issue that involved a lot of pain attempting to unlearn this behavior.

This resurfaced some difficult childhood memories - having your pet given away by your parents and not telling you; having a pet die and being left to grieve alone or be told to basically get over it; never being allowed to say no or set boundaries which allowed all kinds of predators into my world - because I didn't know how to protect myself from them...

VeryFoggy

MaggieMayCat - Thanks so much for posting this!  I love this website, and I had never heard of it before.  It is awesome and so helpful for those who are on the healing journey.  Thank you!

Sandals

Thanks so much for sharing this. I relate to this a lot. On top of the NM everyday crap, she used to tell me often that when she was pg with me, her doc told her she was too old But that she didn't believe in abortion for religious reasons. So I was supposed to have gratitude to her and her religion for existing...not really being wanted, but dodging the knife, so to speak. * that. :p

I follow this author on FB, just sharing that there is that presence in case anyone else is interested.  I'm not great at keeping up on blogs, this way it pushes me the information.

FredrickaGoshlox

Powerful.

When you told what you are enough, you carry it with you through life and have to fight those tapes in your head forever.

I will not diagnose my mother, but she was a horrible, abusive, mocking, namecalling woman to me. I was her scapegoatt.

Thanks for sharing this.

Sunagain

Hi MaggieMayCat -thank you for writing this!
This is my first time writing here -but when reading this ..I could relate so much I had to wonder if I wrote it myself and had forgot  :stars:
Thank you again ..I relate even to the detail of one day suddenly our dog was gone, given away.
I thought I had worked threw my cptsd symptoms, but then I fell in love with a emotionally, verbal and sexual abusive man and after years of that... my therapist made me aware of narcissists.
I feel stupid to not have known ... did not have the words for it.
Now I learned the names, like scapegoat, trauma bonding etc etc...
I left him, and also keep a little distance to my mother now... I am realy working to fix myself, I want the sun back, and am starting to contact the inner child.
I feel stupid it took 30 years before I went to a therapist. I understand I have been so naive also, like believing everyone has to bee good deepest inside. It really hurts to have to change the world view , but I refuse to live in a illusion .. I want truth, and I absolutely do want to end the abuse circle.
It has been scary to educate myself on narcissism, and I do not think I can ever wrap my head around it - but ok .. at least it lead to that Im relieved in a way that I am the scapegoat and not became a narc myself.
It feels like I am scared of ever falling inlove again now, I hope that it will pass with time and more healing.
If not, it is also far better to just live alone.
Take care  :hug: