Master series on Compassion

Started by SigNature, August 05, 2021, 02:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SigNature

Hi Kizzie/admin

Not quite sure where to post this.  I wanted to share as It is an emerging treatment path.  Could you move if not appropriate please.

The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioural Medicine (NICABM) has started a 4 part Master series on the Clinical Application of Compassion Therapy this week.  You can register to listen for free at the time of event, or purchase access.

Unfortunately, it has already started this week so the first of the series has already run, but there are three more.

My trauma therapist, has been mentioning Compassion Therapy for a while stating there have been some credible success in research.  I saw her yesterday after we had both listened to the first session
and she rated the course very highly, we had one of more productive sessions for a while.

I hope it is of use to some.  All the best. Sig

BeeKeeper

Thanks Sig!

Here is the location for free sign up: https://www.nicabm.com/program/compassion-2/?itl=store

Today's subject How to Transform Shame with Self-Compassion
Thursday, August 5, 2021

at 11:00am, 2:00pm, 6:00pm, all times are Eastern Time Zone for United States

How to Skillfully Apply Compassion in the Treatment of Trauma and Attachment Ruptures
Friday, August 6, 2021

at 11:00am, 2:00pm, 6:00pm,

BeeKeeper

Today's agenda: Friday, August 6

Why Compassion Is So Effective for Helping Clients Process Trauma

Using Compassionate Imagery to Help Traumatized Clients Increase Their Window of Tolerance

How to Integrate Self-Compassion into 3 Specific Phases of Trauma Treatment

How to Help Clients Identify Their Emotional Triggers and Go-To Safety Behaviors

How to Work with "Backdraft" and Other Difficulties that Could Arise for Traumatized Clients in Compassion-Oriented Treatment

Navigating a Client's Fears, Resistance, and Blocks to Compassion in the Treatment of Trauma

Kizzie

SigNature

Thnx Bee.

Wondering if anyone found this course useful at all? Or if anyone has had experience with this in their treatment?  I know my trauma therapist is excited to work with me on it. Ie Compassion Focused Trauma Therapy.

I managed to sleep through most of the first one and all of the other three in the series.  Just so caught up in wanting to sleep my life away.

Have I said thank you for starting this site yet Kizzie?
If I havn't, please accept a huge thank you, I find it very comforting. One day I hope to be able to participate like a real human being, and allow more of myself out.

BeeKeeper

Dear Sig,

It was transformative for me-I stayed awake but couldn't handle a whole hour either day.

Although it was in English, and I speak English, it felt like a foreign language which I miraculously understood. A lot of shame concepts came into focus for me, particularly disparaging remarks we frequently make and think nothing of it. "I'm so stupid." "Don't mind me, I'm _______." The experts pointed out these originate from shame and keep us locked into the cycle. Although we might interpret remarks like this as acceptance or mild self-ridicule, even mature, from a compassionate viewpoint, this is false. That was the first surprise.

The second one was how to help clients who felt totally repulsed and defiant about accepting or doing any "compassion" work. Dr. Deborah Lee offered the concept of a "perfect nurturer". This strategy is intended to meet someone halfway. We often have an ideal or fantasy version of what we would have liked to have had but never got. So, by verbalizing or imagining those characteristics, which come from ourselves, not others, we can access the parts which would allow nurturing. This made sense to me. At one time I was in the absolutely NOT category, and felt physically ill at the thought of being compassionate with myself.

The journey has been slow, 5-6 years, but now I'm onboard. Overall the webinar was a great way of "sampling" authors' thoughts, and personality and communication styles. It's pricey venue, $200 for the "Gold Package" at half price! with a lot a incessant, buy me emails. Even so:  :thumbup:

Kizzie

Tks for your kind comment Sig, you're most welcome   :hug:

SigNature

Thanks for feedback Bee, glad it was useful.  Yes, cost is prohibitive, and yes, those incessant emails.....my therapist has bought the series, so I hope to benefit from her knowledge gain  :yes:

Thank you Kizzie  :hug: