Some flashbacks are worth it

Started by Jdog, April 17, 2015, 07:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

Hi all-

It's been a tough week for me.  As an advisor to a high school Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), I help organize our annual participation in the "Day of Silence", which involves kids who want to take a stand in support of LGBTQA individuals who have experienced harm or been killed.  The students protest by remaining silent throughout the school day, and many choose to wear rainbow ribbons.  It is a very moving show of respect.

For me, the preparation and actual commemoration is hugely EF producing, as I experienced bullying as a young person and even within my profession due to my identity.  It is worth the pain, however, as the young people get to show that they are caring individuals who won't stand for intolerance.

So, I'm swallowing my pain and feel glad to make a small difference in some lives. 

Sandals

:hug: I'm very proud of you for taking a stand when you could choose to do something different.

marycontrary

Good job! This is exactly what you need to recover....

Jdog

Thanks.  It always amazes me how difficult standing up for myself and confronting my demons can be.  I appreciate the support!

keepfighting

I love how you are helping to shape the minds of a new generation.  :applause:

It sounds very moving how they show their respect and support. It's time to be done with all the prejudice and hate and exclusion.

Quote from: Jdog on April 17, 2015, 07:04:32 PM
So, I'm swallowing my pain and feel glad to make a small difference in some lives. 

:yourock:

Rrecovery

Hi Jdog, I applaud your courage and appreciate you supporting such a wonderful cause  :applause:

I went to a class reunion a few years ago to "reclaim my dignity" and also to demonstrate forgiveness to my fellow classmates.  But what I price I paid  :stars:  In a major EF the whole time.  I've said it before and will say it again:  we aren't merely survivors, we are heros!   :hug:

Jdog

Thanks so much, KF and Rr. 

KF - As I go to teach every weekday morning, I sometimes do wonder how much I ( or anyone) can do to bring positive and nurturing morsels for youngsters to digest and your words mean so much to me.  I think that the best we can do is to help bring out innate good qualities in people and maybe lead by example also.  I strive to do that (and have a little fun at the same time).

Rr- your class reunion experience must have been very daunting, and I admire your courage for overcoming fears and going anyway.  I have never gone to a class reunion.  Living thousands of miles away from where I grew it is surely one reason why I haven't.  When I finished college, I knew I had to get away from the confines of my hometown, even though it was a large midwestern state Capitol.  But in the early 80's, the Midwest was not a really fun place for a young non-conforming person to spread her wings.  In any case, this is a long-winded "thank you" for the kind words. 

Heroes, let us continue marching forward and create the kinds of lives we want for ourselves!  In so doing, perhaps we will also make the world a gentler and more loving place.

Kizzie