Powerful memoir from a British comedian

Started by Pippi, October 02, 2021, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pippi

I thought I'd share a memoir I recently read, as I haven't seen it posted here, and it was a very powerful read for me: "Just Ignore Him," by Alan Davies.  He writes about childhood abuse by his father.  I listened to the audiobook version (which he narrates beautifully).  His honesty and vulnerability was extremely helpful to me.  He also expresses a lot of anger, which I found helped me as well.  If you're like me and find solace in memoirs written by other survivors, I'd highly recommend this book. 

bluepalm

Thanks for this recommendation Pippi. I hadn't heard of this book but I shall get it now. Accessing my anger better is something I'm currently working on. The very title resonates - 'just ignore him' is an echo for me of  what I heard so frequently - 'get out of my sight'. Thank you!

Pippi

You bet!  I'd love to hear what you think of it.  :)

woodsgnome

I tend to have difficulty with academic books on Cptsd, but reading personal and well-crafted memoirs, as this appears to be, I can tolerate easier. Reading these sorts is more like conversing with a fellow traveler, I guess, so I'll look this one up.

Anger is a huge remnant from my childhood (and beyond really) and I'm intrigued by how others dealt with their own rage, and were still able to live with themselves, let alone others when and if the dreaded feelings are set to near volcanic resonance and I only want (and need?) to explode.

Thanks, pippi.

Hope67

Hi Pippi,
I wanted to thank you for recommending this memoir - I have read it, and found it very - struggling to find an appropriate word to describe my thoughts, but I am unable to rest on one word, or indeed find one - but I am really glad to have read the book.  I related to so many things he wrote in it.
Hope  :)

Armee

Thank you Pippi! I also find memoirs very helpful to read. It helps me see and feel my experience because I can feel sad or angrr for what other people went through and then I see oh that's what happened to me too.