Learning to heal, Larry's journey

Started by Larry, October 20, 2021, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I appreciate all of you !

I have been doing pretty good.  I still get a little lonely and depressed,  but i think i have been handling it better.   I started therapy with a new therapist,  the first session was just a bunch of questions, and making a safety plan.  next session is early october,  then should be more frequent.   I hope i like this therapist.   

I have been playing softball three nights a week with some new friends,  they are so accepting and supportive,  it really is refreshing.   

NarcKiddo

That's a great update, Larry. Glad to hear it.  :grouphug:

Chart

Very cool Larry, me too glad to hear it!

Larry

thank you chart and NC ,

my neighbor took his own life about a month ago,   estate sale was last weekend,  it was really depressing watching everyone go through his stuff,   kind of an eye opener, 

Hope67

Hi Larry,
I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your neighbour. 

I hope you're doing ok.  Sending you a hug, if that's ok  :hug:

Hope

NarcKiddo

Sad news about your neighbour. I'm sorry to hear that.

Larry

I appreciate all of you !
  I am doing good,   went to the gym today.   I haven't been drinking much,  and feel good.   I would like to try sleeping pills again,  haven't been sleeping well,   i think it will be ok as long as i don't over drink....

NarcKiddo

Glad to hear things are feeling good for you. I hope you can get the sleep issues sorted out.

This paragraph is some observations I made in connection with my own experiences with alcohol and sleep. Please ignore if not of any help or interest. When I drank heavily I thought I slept OK - because I zonked out drunk. It took quite a while to adjust to much lower levels of alcohol and I found it took me what felt like a very long time to get to sleep. Never tried sleeping pills but I guess they could be helpful if they can get you into a new routine. One thing that helped me in my determination to cut down was finding out just how elevated my night time heart rate is when I drink alcohol. It explained why I would apparently sleep well but not feel particularly rested the next day.

Chart

Just quickly... breathing exercises can help immensely with sleep. Look up Cardiaque Coherence on YouTube. Five minutes of regulated breathing can do wonders. And if you have the motivation, diaphragm exercises which can also be found on YouTube!
 :hug:

Larry