Learning to heal, Larry's journey

Started by Larry, October 20, 2021, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

Quote from: Larry on March 11, 2023, 01:24:47 AM
Tomorrow i am really going to try to push emotions down,  i just do not want to deal with them.

I soooo get this. I'm not big on feeling my emotions at all. There are imagination exercises you can do to keep those emotions at bay for a while. I've been told that you can find them in CBT workbooks in the English-speaking world but Idk. I was taught them by various therapists myself. So they're exercises like putting any emotions or memories in a safe. My safe is waterproof, can only be opened by me and is at the bottom of a large body of water. Some people put this stuff on a film, roll it up and leave the film in some secret place or a combination: film in the safe, or film in T's office or whatever.

I've got to go, may write more later.

Larry

thank you rainy and blueberry and im sorry,  i was really feeling negative for a few days.   i am trying not to do that, 

rainydiary

Hi Larry, I am learning that our feelings themselves aren't necessarily in our control.  They are giving us signs of things that possibly need our attention.  They give us information.  I believe it is ok to be whatever it is you are being right now.  I hope the strong feelings ease a bit.

Larry

Feeling ok today,   I would really like to even out the ups and downs a little.   I have been busy with work,  seems to help a little.   Still doing good with not drinking.  Today is day 33.   not 1 drink.   I have been sleeping a little better,  still having a few nightmares,  but i haven't been kicking and screaming during them. 

rainydiary

Hi Larry, you are working hard and I am here wishing you well.

Armee

:hug:

I'm so proud of how hard you are working. This is hard work. You are so strong, Larry.

Larry

Blueberry

Yep, that's really hard work you're doing Larry! :applause:

Larry

thank you Blueberry !    I started getting a little depressed yesterday but i got through things.   feeling good this morning.   I have been thining a lot about the last year and a half.  I can't believe i am still here.  I was in such a bad place,   I feel so much better,   and i really want to try to enjoy things again.   18 days until my therapy session with a different therapist.   I am trying not to think about it too much. 
(36 days without alcohol ! )

rainydiary

Larry, I appreciate you sharing this reflection.  You are doing it and it is ok to have ups and downs.

Larry

38 days without alcohol and 16 days until therapy,   I am really trying not to count the days,   seems like i am focusing on things too much. 
Today was ok.  sometimes i get some negative thoughts,  it's hard to explain.  but i have been doing better with recognizing that and trying to work through things. 

sanmagic7

glad to hear you're doing better, larry.  keep up the good work, ok?  love and hugs :hug:

Not Alone

It makes sense that you are counting the days to therapy. It's scary to start with someone new and it's hopeful too. It's a big deal and it's okay that you are counting down.

rainydiary

Larry, to me it seems like you are trying to find new ways of being and focusing on counts is something that is feeling ok to do. 

Larry

I really thought not drinking would help with some of the things that i deal with everyday.  Maybe things are better,  but i still get negative thoughts and feelings, anxiety, out of control emotions,  and i feel alone even when i am around other people.   I am always trying to just stay out of the way, and not bother anyone.   I think i am doing better at recognising these things.   I just don't know how to handle them.  today i wanted to have just 1 drink.   I didn't 
but i think i could and i would be ok.   things have been so confusing,