Taking a Break Too

Started by Kizzie, November 01, 2021, 04:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollyvee

That's great Kizzie  :cheer: I'm glad your recovery is going well.

I'm a firm believer in generational trauma. I've found a lot of patterns in myself didn't actually start with me but were passed down. It's fascinating stuff.

dollyvee

Have started reading this book - it's great! He's affiliated with family constellation therapy which I think is fascinating as well.

Maybe I'm being wide-eyed and hopeful but I think this might be really helpful giving more distance to dealing with npd stuff as well. I found the part where he describes how a child who unconsciously takes on their parent(s) burden as likely having problems receiving in relationships later in life to be eye opening.

Very interesting how this is passed onto babies in the womb and how the epigenetic tags can go as far back as great grandparents as well.

Kizzie

Glad to hear it's good so far.  :thumbup: I have a few books in the pile but that's one I'm really interested to get to.

Papa Coco

Kizzie, thank you for sharing this book title.

I've read the intro and the first chapter so far of Mark Wollyn's book. It's excellent! It's already answering several questions; for example I can see that I'm not crazy to believe that I and my son both have bodies that are compensating for a missing right arm, following my dad losing his right arm in the most traumatic, bloodiest battle of the entire second world war. Gee...do you think there might have been some powerful residual trauma there? The true case examples in Wollyn's book are even more obscure than mine. So, whew!  I'm not crazy.  Incidentally, my son who shares the same missing-arm condition was born on my dad's 64th birthday. They have a lot in common...even their skeletal structures.

I recommend this book. It's a very easy read, short chapters, written in smooth, flowing common English, not like a content-heavy schollarly paper. So it's easy to relax with for a few minutes here and there during the day. I'm adding it to my recommend reading list for anyone with CPTSD.

dollyvee

Yes, I was joking with PC that we should have an informal book club. I have some questions around making peace with parents/family members who were abusers as it doesn't seem to be something he's touched on yet and I think that it's a big hurdle that a lot of us face.

Papa Coco

True, Dolly.

I want to make peace with my abusers, and sometimes I trick myself into believing I've really done it. But after a while I revert back to my anger and hatred for them all over again.  It's a roller coaster I'm getting tired of riding.

Kizzie

There's actually  a designated area called "Book Talk" here - https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?board=191.0.  If anyone is interested in chatting with other members about a particular book, let me know the title and author and I can add a sub-section for it.  Or, you can just add the book as a new topic in the "Books" section and see if anyone want to talk about it. The latter is probably the simplest but either way works.

dollyvee

I agree PC, it's such a big thing to get our heads around. How can people do this to us? I'm pretty sure it's why things are manifesting in my life that are so out there when I think about it. Subconsciously these patterns are still playing out even though I'm working on "them."

Thanks Kizzie - I think I'll put it up there in case anyone else is interested in talking about it.