Therapy and Moving (AGAIN!)

Started by tea-the-artist, January 08, 2022, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tea-the-artist

Hi folks! I used to post here frequently 4 years ago but took some time to live and record my life in my physical diary, but I wanted to come back and say I'm in an even better place now!

I was living with best friends for 3 years and it was amazing and scary and tiring and comforting! I think the pandemic made me realize how much I wanted my own space and last January I decided to not move with them to Louisiana despite feeling like I was obligated to after vaguely agreeing within the first few months of moving in with them. It was the second time I made such a big decision for myself knowing I would disappoint the people I cared about.

BUT I've successfully (and exhaustedly) saved months of rent and am living in a two bedroom studio type place and I have it all to myself! I've learned since summer how to make my own decisions and trust the decisions I've made for myself and it's been a wildly beautiful experience!

I've also been in therapy for almost TWO YEARS now! One more month! It's been so healing and my efforts focus on inner child healing and work.

I came back today after reading some of the successes and continued efforts you're all making and it's beautiful and hope that everyone continues to work towards being freer and more fully whole! :)

Kizzie

Hi Tea, so nice to hear from you and very glad you're doing so well!   :thumbup:   :applause:  It sounds like you've made some big changes in your life and they've really helped.  What kind of therapy have you been doing if you don't mind me asking?   

tea-the-artist

Thanks so much Kizzie!  ;D 2021 was a year of big changes and learning in a short amount of time. I've been working through trauma-based therapy. While we haven't dug so deep, I think it's like psychoanalysis (dynamic?) where we focus on my behaviors and responses to daily situations and ways to create new coping skills that are useful in the present.

It's somewhat casual, I go at my own pace and sometimes our session may just be "I had the best day ever, so I'm going to brag to you for an hour." the big focus is working with inner parts in order to heal past wounds to help navigate daily life. I'm not sure if there's another specific word for it, but trauma-focused is how we describe it.

Not Alone

Congratulations on the big strides you have been making.

Not Alone

tea-the-artist

Kizzie

I like the sounds of that Tea, you're in charge and you and your parts are experiencing what a 'normal' relationship of talking with a supportive, safe person, bouncing ideas off them, etc.  Speaks to how important relational therapy is to relational trauma  :doh: