Article about "Successful Recovery from Your Childhood Trauma"

Started by Hope67, January 30, 2022, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

Hi everyone,
This article is by Annie Wright, and was published in the Psychology Today on January 28th 2022.  The title of the article is "Successful Recovery from your Childhood Trauma".  Here is a link to the article:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/making-the-whole-beautiful/202201/successful-recovery-your-childhood-trauma

I really liked the fact she said
"Noone is the expert on your experience but you, and only you can define what successful recovery from your childhood trauma looks like."

I found the descriptions of what Annie thought a successful recovery should NOT look like to be helpful. 

I also particularly related to her saying this:
"It's usually abusers or people who have a lot to gain from trauma victims not feeling their feelings about events."

I love the list that Annie put where she lists things that she feels suggest a successful recovery - it's a list I hope to achieve as time goes on, and I feel like I've made some progress already in some of them - but it's a long road.

Hope  :)

Armee

Thank you for sharing that, Hope. It's really helpful to see those ideas laid out. I have to admit I felt a little sting because I'm not super far along on many of those benchmarks of recovery . But also that makes sense because I'm only just beginning to process things. Before I was just trying to make myself better or forget or blame myself. How far along can I really be if I have yet to feel grief and anger? This is a long road and it's helpful to be realistic about that.

woodsgnome

What a great reference, Hope ...  :cheer:.

I feel like this nicely provides a useful overview to the ins/outs of effective therapy, both within and outside of formal therapy sessions.

Her approach echoes that of my own therapist, who patiently explained at our first meeting that she doesn't provide any ultimate answers, but acts as a guide for where I am in my own process. This didn't stop me from wanting all the answers to be magically supplied by her, but that's diminished over time. And I'm grateful it has, as it allows the bigger picture to emerge from within my own dark and scary places.

There's lots here, but Annie Wright's concise yet thorough presentation is impressive. I'm babbling along, aren't I? It was just so good to see this, so thanks once more, Hope  :hug:

Blueberry

Thanks for this, Hope!

This one example of what recovery is NOT: Dismissing and diminishing your lived experiences and attendant feelings to make other people comfortable in order to preserve relationships with them is something I've been working on the past year for people outside FOO. It jumped out at me in the list because I often question myself on whether my steps in that direction are right. Seeing it there helps me realise once again - YES! Somebody other than my T and I see it that way.