Night Terrors

Started by dollyvee, March 19, 2022, 12:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollyvee

After experimenting with my vitamins and methylation cycle, I started to experience the feeling of waking up panicked in the middle of the night. I think the feeling could be described as a kind of terror, I'd never experienced it before. I did some digging and found the below on methylation and night terrors in children. The link between nutrient levels, night terrors and methylation is interesting.

https://www.realizehealth.com.au/2015/12/08/sleep-and-neurotransmitters/

I was taking Acetylcholine before bed and then found I have a homozygous PEMT enzyme which means I have reduced capacity in changing acetylcholine to phosphatylcholine. So, there was excess acetylcholine I guess. Maybe this is useful to someone out there.

Kizzie

Very scary I'm sure.  I've been waking up in the morning with an intense feeling of dread and anxiety and it's awful. It seems to be calming now thankfully. 

Tks for posting about your experience, it's too easy for us to blame ourselves for any anxiety, etc when it can be medication, supplements, food... 

Wishing you much calmer and restful sleeps Dolly  :zzz:

dollyvee

Yes that's a good way to describe it - dread and anxiety that just went very deep. I'm lucky that I knew right away that it must be linked to the supplements as it never happened before and went away when I stopped taking it. It's another layer to untangle when you're dealing with very challenging emotions, ideas etc. and when the only explanation you've been told growing up is that it must be you.

Glad it's calming for you Kizzie, I know you've had a rollercoaster with anxiety lately.  :hug:

I also came across this article from 2016 that talks about B vitamins and how their role is relatively unknown (in 2016!) and their effects on the human body:

"the major human epidemiological and controlled trial research effort in this area has concentrated almost exclusively on that small sub-set of B vitamins (folate, vitamin B12 and, to a lesser extent vitamin B6) that play the most obvious roles in homocysteine metabolism. The multifarious inter-related roles of the remaining five B vitamins have been largely overlooked. Possibly as a result of this, the many intervention studies that have involved administering just folic acid ± vitamins B12 and/or B6, have generated equivocal results...Furthermore, evidence from human research clearly shows both that a significant proportion of the populations of developed countries suffer from deficiencies or insufficiencies in one or more of this group of vitamins, and that, in the absence of an optimal diet, administration of the entire B-vitamin group, rather than a small sub-set, at doses greatly in excess of the current governmental recommendations, would be a rational approach for preserving brain health."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772032/

There just seems to be a lack of knowledge about the far reaching effects of this. Not that it might have not been triggered by trauma in the first place, but like you said, that we take it on psychologically.