RANT Treatment article is a bit of an impractical crock...

Started by Dart, May 11, 2022, 04:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dart

This article: https://www.outofthestorm.website/treatment/

This is only true if you can afford therapy.  My therapist said it can take years.  I told her, 1 year.  Right now therapy takes a full 50% of my income.  I can afford it only because I have lived frugally for years.

A huge number of people -- I think about 95% cannot afford therapy.

Big time need for:

Since parts mediation modalities work best (or only work) when the patient knows what's going on, then either books, handouts or youtube vids to educate people can leave therapists with more time to do therapy.

Group forms of therapy.  Probably work best in medium size groups 5-8 people.

AI to handle some of the routine stages, with alarms to call in a human.  Like chat support lines, one therapist may be multiplied by 3-4 doing this.

Self guided therapy.  Yes this doesn't work well.  But it may work better than drinking yourself to death.

Teaching self awareness and mindfulness to all people at an early age.

Kizzie

:thumbup:  You're absolutely correct that many of simply cannot afford to get well because therapy is not typically covered and if it is it's very limited funding.  Paying out of pocket is a huge burden considering most sessions range around $200 an hour.

I've complained about this elsewhere (forum, blog and Twitter), but I think it may be worth adding a paragraph about this on that page and perhaps look at writing another blog article. 

One would have thought offering virtual therapy would have lowered costs but I don't think that's happened.  One option to make therapy more affordable is group therapy but I haven't seen that offered much as yet.