Coming Out

Started by Kizzie, June 18, 2022, 04:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Mental health professionals and others often tell us we need to learn to comfort ourselves, but neglect to say that we can't do it alone. We need comfort from others to help us feel safe (and wanted) in coming out as who we really are. This poem spoke to me about this.

Watch carefully,
the magic that occurs,
when you give a person,
just enough comfort,
to be themselves.

Atticus (Canadian Poet)

littlebluejay

I love this, thank you so much for sharing. I don't know where I'd be without my community of people... I certainly can't do it all alone either.

Kizzie

woodsgnome

Such a tidy little poem, but it carries a huge impact that I've experienced, but never enough. That sounds gloomy, though -- see how hard it is to stick with the good stuff?

It's another step towards realization that there can even be good to this lonely path. That there are people who care, that can feel so fulfilling, as if to accept that yes, even when my doubts threaten my peace, there are words (and people) like these to right the ship when it falters.

Thank you, Kizzie. It's a great example of something else that I've noticed -- how surprise can pop up unexpectedly and make one's spirit soar -- today's surprise was this poem and its understated eloquence.

rainydiary

Thank you for sharing the poem - it does speak to the space we need. 

Kizzie

I love your description WG. It is a tidy little poem isn't it? Simple but elegant and with such BIG import for us.

Comfort is so important for relational survivors like us. It's a gift from another and when we open it there it is, a sense of safety, worth, care and belonging few of us had.   

sanmagic7

Not Alone

I'm grateful for all the people in my life who bring me comfort, in small and large doses. My OOTS family is among those, so thank you.  :grouphug: