So I started counseling

Started by Widdiful Falling, April 22, 2015, 07:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Widdiful Falling

My first appointment was today. I was scared and anxious at first, especially because I had trouble finding the place, and was late. But the T was very understanding. I told her my life story, and she said I show remarkable emotional resilience. First time anyone has ever said that to me. It went really well, I thought. I like her. She seems intelligent, but not overbearing. She helped me put words to how I felt to understand it more. I cried a lot, and started getting shaky toward the end. I'm trying to not think of it as embarrassing.

Jdog

Great job!  It is getting started that is the hardest part, and it sounds like you covered important ground and received validation.

Congratulations on a job well done!

C.

Sounds like an ideal beginning.  And I love the way that your T validated and supported you.  Sounds skillful. :hug:

Widdiful Falling

I'm glad that's how it turned out. I didn't have anyone to refer me, so I picked the only T I could find who dealt with trauma, worked on a sliding scale, and put more work into the descriptive part of her profile than her picture. She looked like a real person in it, and that's something I really value. She seems authentic in real life, too. I hope it continues to be this way. I've made another appointment for two weeks from now. If it keeps going this way, I will definitely keep her.

Something I really liked was that, even though I read the confidentiality agreement, she went over it verbally with me. It was reassuring to hear from her that she wouldn't tell anyone about the contents of our appointments, or even that I had been there. Her intake form even had a section in case anyone needed to leave special instructions about leaving voice-mail.

She seemed concerned about the lack of emotional understanding in my real life, but that's not something that has ever concerned me. The only person I really rely on for support is my SO, and he can't reasonably be expected to bear the entirety of my emotional burden, nor do I expect him to.

Dyess

Sounds like it went well. Hope your sessions continue to go well and feel comfortable. *high five* :)

Widdiful Falling

Thank you, guys. The support I receive here is wonderful, too. You guys are awesome, and I'm very grateful for your words of encouragement.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Widdiful Falling

I had a second appointment the other day. I think it went well. We packed a lot of things in that session. My T seems impressed with my ability to feel one thing and do another. I guess having to hide and suppress my emotions helped that skill along.

She's still really validating, and she seems to be genuinely interested in what makes me tick. I haven't asked her about C-PTSD, but a diagnosis isn't really what I'm looking for, anyway.

Dyess

That sounds great and more important that you feel comfortable with this T. This is exciting :) get on that train and ride it out :)

Rrecovery

Your T sounds excellent; well done on choosing her.  A good therapist is such an invaluable resource and facilitator of recovery.  I'm so happy for you  ;D