Exercise Support Thread Part 1

Started by Chart, June 26, 2024, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollyvee

Exercise has always been important for me. Growing up I played sports and spent many years swimming. Because I spend so much time in my head, I find it's a good way to get in my body and feel what's going on. I guess it's a different kind of awareness for me though some aspects are triggering. I started to lift weights about five years ago and find the gym to uncover a lot of "things." I grew up with an 80s "meathead" sf and find there's a lot of those types in the gym. The gym has also helped me reshape (haha) my relationship with food and awareness of my body, but I do find it's hard to be in the same meditative state as swimming.

Today I'm going to do some resistance with cardio at the end. I guess the stairclimber is a little victory and not purely torture. I was away on vacation and did a lot of walking/"hiking" and skipping and downhill was pretty fun.

Chart

NarcKiddo

Cor. I had my first leg day in I don't know how long. At least 10 weeks, but leading up to the pneumonia I was having so many off days with the Hep C that the whole regime has been wonky for at least 6 months. I am going to have major muscle soreness tomorrow and will probably be walking around like John Wayne for a couple of days.

So, today we found out how far I have been knocked back.

4 sets of 8 deadlifts has gone back from 70kg to 30kg. Other exercises have taken a similar knock. I can feel that my absolute strength has not gone back nearly that far. I'd guess 50kg rather than 30. It was not the weight that was the problem so much as the breathing endurance, which has been truly ravaged by the pneumonia. Once I get my cardio fitness back on track the strength will bounce back pretty fast, I reckon.

Anyway, it was nice to get back to something that feels like normality.

Lakelynn

Yes dollyvee,
Quote from: dollyvee on June 28, 2024, 06:50:21 AMThe gym has also helped me reshape (haha) my relationship with food and awareness of my body,
When I make the effort to walk or drive to the gym, then sweat or feel pain while there, it definitely brings more awareness to the body. It's taken me several gym "tries" to let it sink in, but I'm ready now.

Quote from: NarcKiddo on June 28, 2024, 11:38:15 AMthe breathing endurance, which has been truly ravaged by the pneumonia.
I have been following your health issues, but didn't realize pneumonia was in the mix. Yes, that would present real difficulties getting back to your usual activities. Congrats on your leg day. I hope your prediction about muscle soreness is WRONG.

After a couple sessions of PT with stretches I am now into machines and exercise bands. For the legs, there's a strange machine which is like a stationary stair stepper. Not elliptical, not a bike, but just seated "up down up down." There's the 70-80 pound leg press. I'll have to look up the last one.

I can keep up motivation for 48 hours, then end up taking a break for 24.

Lakelynn

Greetings! Only a day late, so that's something. I found the blog NarcKiddo, Thanks for the reference! And what a great feeling knowing there's no FOO memories or issues.

Quote from: Blueberry on June 27, 2024, 11:03:47 AMIt's certainly good to keep going at what you can do, before you can't anymore.
My feelings exactly.

Quote from: Little2Nothing on June 27, 2024, 08:48:15 AMIt definitely helps with depression and anxiety. Coupled with cutting out sugar and all processed foods I am doing better physically and emotionally
Amen brother.

Quote from: AphoticAtramentous on June 27, 2024, 06:05:35 AMhope this thread might help motivate me in turn.
I have the same hope.

Chart

So very cool. The info and input from everyone is inspiring. I spent the day on a roof so I think I've had my exercise for today. But I'm so happy to hear about yours! And can't wait to get back to my bike (if only because it means I WASNT on a roof that day :) )

dollyvee

That sucks NK. I know when I was sick last year, I could do a fraction of what I normally can cardio wise. It's hard not to take it to heart that you're not able to preform. I hope you're able to find enjoyment in what you can do right now.

NarcKiddo

Thanks dollyvee. I've learned not to get hung up on lost ground after the Covid gym closures and then gallbladder surgery. I am not training *for* anything other than my own health and wellbeing. So while going backwards could be annoying I choose to take the view that it is evidence I took the necessary rest for my health. I can push myself too hard, so knowing when to rest is good. I'm not competing against anyone except myself, so I just start again. In some ways the setback is not so bad because the return to form tends to be quicker than getting there the first time so I have lots of lovely big advances (I hope) to look forward to.

It was my first day back in the gym today. I did 40 minutes on the treadmill and then lots of stretching and mobility work. The treadmill certainly proved that my cardio endurance is indeed shot to pieces. I was struggling for breath for any sustained period over 4km/h. However my heart rate was not zooming up, which it has been doing, so I am making progress. It's a case of pushing at the boundaries, but not too hard.

Chart

Very awesome you're back at it NK! Set your own pace and congratulations!

Beijaflor57

Great idea for a thread, Chart! And good on you for resuming your biking again. You should be proud of yourself.  :cheer:

I'm hoping to get back into a regular exercise routine as soon as possible. Life circumstances have gotten in the way over the last few years. I was in great shape a few years ago when I was able to go to the gym regularly. Then post-grad school and a hectic job got in the way.

I also used to be an avid runner once upon a time. I ran long-distance for many years. Running was my passion, as well as a huge endorphin-releaser. What they say about 'runner's high' is true. I found it to be incredibly therapeutic and it boosted my confidence. Sadly, I had to give it up about 8 years ago, when I found out I had bad hips and the ortho doctor told me I had to give up all high-impact exercise if I wanted to slow down the deterioration in my hips. I nearly cried. So I took up other forms of exercise instead, such as biking, walking, and swimming. I also did a lot of strength-training.

I'm a huge advocate for exercise. No matter what you do, or how long, every little bit helps. Especially for those of us with CPTSD. I need to follow my own advice and get back on the wagon.

Chart

Thanks Beijaflor57! Mutual encouragement helps so much. Your post has now got me thinking about my bikeride. I'm gonna try. I send you support and encouragement too! All your comments are spot on. Sorry to hear about the pesky hip issues. But there's lots of alternatives, just have to find the time and willpower to do it. Good luck!

NarcKiddo

It is always annoying and frustrating when health issues get in the way of the exercise modality we like best. But you are right, Chart, there are alternatives and sometimes those alternatives can turn out to be enjoyable if we give them a chance. Or at least we can find aspects of them that make them enjoyable enough for us to persist.

I never believed in "runner's high". I rarely get it noticeably, even after bouts of intense exercise, though I do feel energised afterwards. I was very surprised to encounter it during a really long and tedious session of endless leg presses on a machine. I had to get into a meditative zone to grind it out and all of a sudden I realised I was buzzing. Weird.

Lakelynn

Quote from: NarcKiddo on June 30, 2024, 04:17:46 PMI was very surprised to encounter it during a really long and tedious session of endless leg presses on a machine. I had to get into a meditative zone to grind it out and all of a sudden I realised I was buzzing.

That gives me hope NarcKiddo. Thanks!

Today, I forced myself to walk for 1.34 miles, all before breakfast. I'm attempting "intuitive fasting." Before hand I did the hardest stretches and now notice I can walk uphill much easier.

Dina

Thank you for this thread Chart!

I also have found that exercise makes a big difference. I have been without any medication for some weeks now at a clinic for an inpatient treatment, and at the same time I started a new exercise routine: Mondays and Wednesdays 45min of what they call Medical training therapy (basically gym-like exercises to improve the physical health), Tuesdays and Thursdays 50min of Movement therapy (yoga, stretching and movement-like exercises to be more grounded in the present moment), and recently 50min of individual Anger therapy in which I get to box, hit, kick, and even scream to physically release the energy from repressed anger in my boda, and boy it helps!
The days I don't do anything, I kind of convince myself to get out, just step out of the room and walk 15min, if possible near nature.
I plan to keep at least some of these practices at home, since not much equipment is required.

I have realized that I loved training at the gym, but I unconsciously linked it with my anger, so when I wasn't feeling angry I just didn't feel like exercising. Now I can do it consciously, because it helps me with my mood, and to feel strong, and overall I feel better about myself.

So, I'm now getting up from the PC and going for a short walk 😊

Lakelynn

Quote from: Dina on July 13, 2024, 11:30:07 AMI unconsciously linked it with my anger, so when I wasn't feeling angry I just didn't feel like exercising.

Interesting observation Dina. Yeah to getting up and being motivated. I think I'll do the same.  :thumbup: