JDog's Journal

Started by Jdog, May 07, 2015, 10:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wattlebird

Hi jdog
Hope you take it easy, with so much emotion in the air it's easy to get overwhelmed.
:hug:

Three Roses

Sending you what support is possible, across the miles ❤️

Not Alone

You are carrying a heavy load right now. So sorry to hear about the student, so sad. Just wanted to send you support during this difficult time.

Jdog

Thank you all.  You are so very kind and your kindness makes a difference to me. 

Jdog

I am dressed and ready to launch my day, watching the TV news to see about possible slow traffic areas along my route.  I always get to school very early to rethink my lesson and just be able to ease into my day, and today comes with an intensified need for advance preparation.  My committee for the accreditation process meets with the accreditation team first, and it will be a relief to be on the other side of that 90 minutes. 

I am thinking about the intellectual sluggishness exhibited by some of kids who are so much more connected to their smartphones than they are to my class.  I know that many teachers have class websites and post homework and such but as I look at student grades, the students who don't read my weekly printed calendar and don't make note of the homework reminder posted on my board are also not doing the homework posted online by some other teachers.   What to make of this......
It is not an excuse for me not to go digital, but believe it or not I am not a very tech savvy person.  I have a Twitter account that I never use, no Facebook or Instagram.  So it's a challenge for me to learn new ways of posting.  And, too, fewer than half of the parents of our students even bother to use our district's online grade and attendance reporting system, which I utilize religiously.  I am proud of always being up to date on grades, unlike some of those who maintain their teacher websites.  Go figure.

I will close for now.  I appreciate this space to help me ferret out my thoughts.

Hope67

Hi Jdog,
I just wanted to pop by and say that I like the phrase 'ferret out my thoughts' - it made me smile - and I want to extend a warm hug to you -  :hug:  I relate to what you say about being 'not a very tech savvy person' - I feel like that as well - I haven't even set up a Twitter account or Instagram - although I do have Facebook.  I don't use it very often though.    Well done for always being diligent with the online grade and attendance reporting system - especially in light of what you've said about your digital presence - you can clearly do it - and you prioritize what you feel is best.   :cheer:
Hope  :)

Jdog

Thanks, Hope.  Your sweet reflections are a wonderful way for me to begin my day today.

The school accreditation team did not end up loving what we are doing at my school.  They thought our relationships with each other and with the kids were warm and suporrive but when it comes to the instruction they felt that we were not rigorous enough or providing enough challenge for students.  Does that apply to me and my instruction?  I don't know.  My situation is somewhat complicated due to the fact that we have intentionally included many more special education students in my classes than most other science teachers are hosting.  I co teach with a special ed teacher 3 out of 5 periods.  But yes, it continues to be hard to offer challenges to everyone. 

I have two special things for my more advanced learners upcoming.  One is a field trip to a local arboretum.  I am taking the top tier of each of my five classes, and it will be a refreshing time to have no worries about being embarrassed by their behavior and a chance for them to talk with professionals who are leading our tour about plant cultivation and native species.  The other thing is we are doing a lab on the effects of various pH levels on germination of radish seeds, and I am assignment of doing a detailed lab report to show the findings.  I hope that offers challenge.  The kids who are less capable...well, we will have to scaffold the directions or maybe only grade parts of the report.

Otherwise, my district is still failing and refusing to meet with our teacher union to address budgets.  We have threatened to strike.  If we do, I hope it doesn't interfere with my field trip for high achievers.  Fingers crossed.

I am suffering from compassion fatigue.  I have been emailing with my former therapist.  She's an absolutely a lovely person and reminds me that my little efforts and the love I extend do matter, that research shows that it only takes one person to make a life saving difference to someone.  Planting seeds, in the garden and in the classroom.

Three Roses

Quotemy little efforts and the love I extend do matter, that research shows that it only takes one person to make a life saving difference to someone.

Yes, your efforts matter. My 4th grade teacher made a big impact on me, I remember her still. Hang in there!

Deep Blue

I feel ya darling!
It's like the starfish analogy though... a man was walking on the beach and there were hundreds of starfish there.  They had all washed up on shore.  I watched him as he picked them up 1 by 1 throwing them back in the water. I went over to him and said there are so many starfish you can't possivly make a difference.  The man picked up another and threw it in. He said, maybe not, but I'm making a difference for that starfish.

Much love to ya sweetie. I've really missed you but feel myself coming back.  :hug:

Not Alone

You are planting seeds of compassion, learning, understanding, and care in your students. A tiny seed can grow into something big.

Jdog

Ah, thanks my buddies! 

3Roses- it's nice that you remember your 4th grade teacher.  I had some good ones also, and you just never know who will benefit from your kindnesses.  Thanks for the reminder.

Blue-
The starfish story is very apt. Funny thing, I was in the garden yesterday watching some of my floundering starfish and I was telling one who isn't floundering how I worry for them.  He said, "I feel that way too."  He said he tries to make a difference to others and hopes it works.  Very sweet.  15 years old going on 40, that one.

Hope67

Quote from: Jdog on March 23, 2019, 03:08:03 PM

my little efforts and the love I extend do matter, that research shows that it only takes one person to make a life saving difference to someone.  Planting seeds, in the garden and in the classroom.

I agree, those efforts really do matter. 

Hope  :)

Jdog

:hug: to you Hope.  Thanks!

Jdog

Thanks, BeHea1thy.  I will try to imagine those  threads, indeed. 

I am touched by the amount of thought you put into the response to my post.  I am humbled by the way in which you wrap me in care from across the country and across cyberspace. 

Thank you very much.

Jdog

I read something that indicated that spammers were continuing to assault our site here, and perhaps that explains why it is so difficult to access the site lately.  Whatever the reason, it is a source of frustration for me.

I have had some interesting healing experiences lately.  One I may have already related - not sure - but it had to do with overcoming negative feelings when been criticized over some mistakes I made at work.  I owned the mistakes, made apologies, and things were ok.  More recently, I ran into some rough sailing in communicating with a co worker, someone I work very closely with and whom I feel as connected to as one would a sibling.  I don't have siblings, but I imagine this is the feeling I would have if I were to have one.  Anyways, I once again felt attacked and critisized and apologized for my misstep.  This was not in person, although there had been an earlier communication issue that was in person.  But yesterday, I chose to just give the individual some space and not give in to my feelings of wanting to control the situation.  She is, after all, allowed to be frustrated with me, to make her own mistakes, and to get angry as well.  So, things blew over in a few hours and we ended up sending sweet words to one another. 

On another front, my union is preparing a one day strike next Thursday.  The school district has not honored the terms of the contract they signed with us 18 months ago, and has repeatedly failed to meet with our leaders and/or come to any meaningful settlement of grievances.  The entire district is going broke due to mismanagement at the top, but we offered to give ground over the cost of our health benefits several times in exchange for things that would benefit students.  Historically, the district takes any savings and gobbles them up by hiring even more administrators who have little impact upon what happens in the classroom.  Talk about your gaseous bloat.....

The best thing that happened last week was getting to take 20 of my best kids to the arboretum at a local university.  They had a formal tour and then had time to walk around other areas on their own.  They were marvelously playful with one another - high school kids still have their child like sense of wonder and play fully in tact- and since they didn't all know one another before coming on the trip, they made new friends.  It was very gratifying to get to provide the opportunity to them.  Who knows, a few may choose to attend this excellent college in the near future.