JDog's Journal

• 374 Replies

Jdog

• View Profile
Re: JDog's Journal
« Reply #360 on: May 14, 2019, 05:41:06 PM »
Deep Blue and Woodsgnome-

You are both such sensitive, affirming people.  My life is richer for having you part of it!  Thanks for the kindness you have shown me.... :grouphug:

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2019, 12:43:27 AM »
Jdog,

You see things very  clearly, especially the irony of cause, effect and choices all around. But I especially like this observation:
would have destroyed a lesser person than my wife, who was a trooper with her interventions and support.  Instead, we are strong today and working on ourselves and our relationship.

You've recognized the source of your combined strengths, how it was gained and how it continues to benefit you both in the long run.

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2019, 02:16:02 AM »
Thank you, dear BeHea1thy.  Your kind words always soothe me and make me want to be my best self.  I hope you are continuing to prosper as well. :hug:

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
Yes, continuing to prosper in ways that are totally new. I wanted to add my 2 cents to the idea that one teacher makes a difference.

I've finished up my communications course with stellar grades.  :phoot:  Lots of writing assignments have given me new appreciation of previously rejected ideas and skills. I'm posting some over in the Resource section under Books. As a result to some assignments, my entire world view has changed.  :blink: I recognize how my stubborn mindsets have stunted my growth. Which now brings me to the main point.

A review of my now defunct online journal showed that you've been a steady, calm, encouraging voice over the years. Your emphasis and celebration of new perspectives has been a life-saver. The core of your being is so giving.  :hug: Thanks for making a difference here; consider it your virtual "classroom" in part.

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2019, 02:29:54 AM »
I enjoy this virtual classroom very much.  Your appreciation is a beautiful aspect of your own kind self, BH.  I have had an especially roller coasteresque week, and your validation is so wonderful to me right now. 

I had an experience today wherein I needed to get my principal to acknowledge that she needs to be more cautious about allowing certain kinds of parents to observe in classrooms and I put her on the defensive and she bit back for awhile until landing back in a more positive spot.  It made me realize that, much as I like her, she has little experience with either being discriminated against or being falsely accused of something.  I am ok, but sometimes standing up for myself is just as frustrating and difficult today as it was when I was a kid.

Anyway, thanks so very much,  all the validations you and others have sent means the world to me.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »
I am not at all sure that I have ever fulfilled that particular role for a student but I do try and encourage them the best I can.  Maybe my central gif to them is just being “real”, at the same time as having good boundaries.  That teaches them how  safe in their other relationships (one hopes) and helps them know that they can be themselves (which ever self that may be at the moment, lol). 

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be that particular role to be meaningful! In fact encouraging the students themselves might make more of an impact in some ways. Also like 3R said about same quote, I'm sure my teachers had no idea the effect their talks with M had on me, especially the long-lasting effect.

Deep Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 20, 2019, 12:06:09 AM »
Hey Jdog,
I have 4 days of exams and then a teacher workday on Friday and then I’m finished.  Yay!

I still have no clue what I’m teaching next year yet though. It drives me crazy to not know till the last day of school.  Grrrr

I’m also still waiting to see if I will have to do some coursework of my own this summer.  Much love! Jdog  :hug:

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »
Blue-

Glad you are so near the end!  Congrats!  Things will become clear very soon, my friend.  And if you end up needing extra coursework, I know you will go about it with grace. 

18 days more for me.  A bright spot is that the second one day strike planned for this coming week has been called off.  The district is finally “discovering” that they must obey the law and uphold our contract....with a lot of pressure from outside forces, a forensic audit by the state, and clobbering over the head by the State Superintendent.  Honestly, you could not make this stuff up.  I am thinking of writing a Lifetime Movie script about the lies and intrigue.  Maybe I can fund part of my retirement this way.....

Love ya.

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 22, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Wow - I had a gift yesterday in the form of a snail mail letter from my father’s youngest sister.  In the letter, she said that she loves me and is proud of me, misses both of my parents (they have both died) and letting me know she is basically doing fine for her age.  I think she is 81.  It was nice to get this, as I certainly feel like a Motherless Child, without siblings at all and with no close family anywhere within 1,000 miles from my current home.  I will snail mail back.

I am appreciating the fragility of this life of ours, the importance of connections, and the overall value of seeking the good in all nooks and crannies.  It is easy for me to become depressed, overwhelmed, defeatist.  But every day allows me a choice to respond in a more uplifted manner.  I must make that choice, as everything depends upon it.  I had a nice day at work yesterday, very busy day, and it left me feeling good.  As I left the final meeting of the day, I had to walk across the school cafeteria.  And my students who were there enjoying their after school snack between studying and other activities called out to me, wanted me to see them, wanted to connect because they like me.  You cannot buy that sweetness, it just exists in the world.  What a blessing.

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 22, 2019, 02:05:41 PM »
Thank you for this post, jdog, it was very comforting and encouraging to me.  :hug:

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 22, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »
3Roses, I am so glad it was a source of comfort and encouragement.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 22, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »
And my students who were there enjoying their after school snack between studying and other activities called out to me, wanted me to see them, wanted to connect because they like me.  You cannot buy that sweetness, it just exists in the world.  What a blessing.
:) :)  :hug:

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 23, 2019, 03:52:20 PM »
Jdog,

The district is finally “discovering” that they must obey the law and uphold our contract.
  :applause: About time.

The mail does bring presents every now and then.
In the letter, she said that she loves me and is proud of me,
That's really nice to get an unexpected boost as well as confirmation your life has meaning to others.

I had to walk across the school cafeteria.  And my students who were there enjoying their after school snack between studying and other activities called out to me, wanted me to see them, wanted to connect because they like me.
  :yes:  :cheer: :thumbup:

Hope67

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 26, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
Hi Jdog,
It's so nice that you got that letter - and some lovely things said in it.  Very meaningful and special.   :hug:
I smiled when I read about your students connecting with you because they like you - that is great. 
Hope  :)

Jdog

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 26, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement, friends.   Teaching sure has its ups and downs.  The day after I posted the feel-good news, I had difficulty with a slew of boys, one of whom was the so-and-so who had falsely accused me of giving him “the finger” and posted a photo taken from an angle which makes it look that way (my co worker and I were being playful and giving a sideways peace sign and laughing).  Anyways, that boy continues causing problems for others, too, and is now going to a district expulsion hearing since he physically assaulted an adult hall monitor.  The other irritating kids were given detention and will be ok.  I think they got high at lunch and were being dumb and rowdy in class as a result of the marijuana. 

Life is good, however.  My wife and I just returned from attending a couple of professional baseball games out of town as a celebration of her birthday.  We have colds, but will be ok soon one hopes.  I have planned out next week’s instruction - and it’s a short week due to tomorrow being Memorial Day - and only need to decide on final exams.  I am considering offering a short project as an option for the more advanced students, one in which a person calculates the amount of land required to grow that person’s food consumed over the course of a year.  There is a bit of research required, then keeping track of one’s foods for a period of time, calculating, and writing a report. I will maybe give the less capable or studious an option to take a multiple choice test covering the major components of nutrition and how the body digests food.  There is a biology book that covers much of that material which they can work from over the course of the week prior to exams. 

What a world we inhabit, friends.  It comes down to the need and responsibility to seek out healing structures, positive people, and certainly the good within ourselves.  I am learning so much at this time.  I have a great deal of gratitude for the healing, the learning and the growth which is yet to come.