To my parents

Started by rainydiary, July 11, 2024, 02:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainydiary

Dear Parents,

I got began working with an orthodontist earlier this year and am now wearing Invisaligns.

I am angry at you for not supporting my need for braces when I was younger.  I never understood why you got braces for my siblings but not for me. 

I know you have a story that says why but it often felt like a vanity thing or related to money.  How it makes me feel is that I'm not good enough.

I resisted getting braces for a long time because it felt overwhelming and scary and embarrassing.  But every time a child I work with makes a comment about teeth, it hurts.  Every time an adult looks at my mouth with a look that says "*," it hurts.

I tried to pretend for a long time it didn't bother me.  But it does and did.  I still feel worry that I am being judged when I go to the orthodontist (even though he has literally never made me feel judged). 

I am trying to take actions that will help me feel more confident.  I wish you knew how hurtful your lack of support is.

AphoticAtramentous

Quote from: rainydiary on July 11, 2024, 02:34:18 AMI am angry at you for not supporting my need for braces when I was younger.  I never understood why you got braces for my siblings but not for me.

I know you have a story that says why but it often felt like a vanity thing or related to money.  How it makes me feel is that I'm not good enough.
You're not alone on this one... it hurts a lot seeing others get more attention and care than you, you not getting the things you so desperately needed. But believe me, you are worthy of any and all help and comfort.  :hug:

Regards,
Aphotic.