Hello

Started by horsegirl, May 08, 2015, 06:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horsegirl

Hi,

I joined this forum because I need to talk to others about emotional flashbacks. My therapist describes my childhood trauma as "severe," and I still have horrific emotional flashbacks at times that leave me barely functional. Depending on the trigger, they can last for a couple of days. During these flashbacks, I feel so attacked, it seems like death is the only escape. I'm wondering if others have this experience as well.

lightbeneaththeearth

I do have similar experiences. It sucks to feel so helpless against an enemy that seems to live inside you. I am new here too. I hope each of us can find the tools we need to get healthy and feel like our own value is threatened.

horsegirl

Thank you. It helps to know I'm not alone.

Kizzie

Hi and welcome to OOTS HG  :wave:   I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with bad EFs, they are tough I know  :hug:.  There is an article  by Pete Walker which helps many people to manage them  better - http://www.pete-walker.com/pdf/emotionalFlashbackManagement.pdf.  There are also lots of other resources here about mindfulness, grounding or bewing in the moment, self-soothing, self-compassion (just use the search feature on the top right of the page). And of course starting to talk about your situation and being validated and supported here can help a lot.

Glad you found your way here  :hug: