Trigger alert: sad situation

Started by Jdog, May 19, 2015, 11:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

Hi-

Just processing a difficult thing and reaching out a bit here.  One of my former high school students was shot and killed at a party last weekend.  I did not know him as well as I have some kids but immediately recognized him as one of mine when his picture flashed on the television.  Too soon and too tragic a way for this young man to pass.  Such a violent world we live in.  I am at least glad that the Universe allows me to reach out and offer some support and encouragement to young folks each day.  It helps me feel better and eases the pain of such awful tragedies.

Thanks for letting me share.  Other than overindulging in food yesterday I am doing pretty well.  Just very sad.  Off to the gym now.

Indigochild

Hi Jdog

Im really sorry about what happened. Im sorry that you are sad. Really, i am.

May trigger......

Things like this can have a big effect on us.(something similar happened and it evoke emotional flashbacks, and hypervigelance, only what i can think must be supressed trauma from childhood)
The world can seem so unsafe.

I hope your ok and this forum is of course here for you.

:hug:

Jdog

Thank you, Indigochild.  I don't feel it is a trigger for me personally but it sure hurts to lose someone so young.

Appreciate your response.

Widdiful Falling

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's difficult to process the fact that someone will never be in your life again, even if you didn't expect them to be. It's also really sad to hear that someone's life was cut short when they had the potential to do so much more with it. As a teacher, you saw that potential firsthand, and so it is probably even harder to get past.

The world is a dark place sometimes, but we have to be able to see that there is even more good. Many young people are growing and reaching their potential as we speak. You've helped me, personally, grow, just like I know you've helped others. Thank you.

Jdog

Thank you, BeHealthy.  I agree that numbness is the problem.  We see sad stories on the news each day but only truly feel the sorrow when our lives have somehow been touched by those who are hurt or killed.  The young man whom was killed last weekend had hopes of becoming an engineer, and I remember him as a fun loving and sweet boy. 

Thanks for the lovely compliment regarding my daily work, as well.  In many ways, students get me up and out of my own inner turmoil and they will never know how grateful I am to have them in my life.

Be well.