Favorite Quotes - Part 1

Started by Rain, September 28, 2014, 10:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch Uncle

I have this site bookmarked with daily quotes. So many are so awesome...

It's not what you say out of your mouth that determines your life, it's what you whisper to yourself that has the most power.

Robert T. Kiosaki
(And I'd say that works both ways: the self-incriminating whispers that I (and many of us here) know all too well. But also in the other direction  (I guess  ;D ): that I am mending, recovering. "I'm already doing the right thing", as I regularly remind myself off.)

Another beauty of today, that I think many of us here can relate to:
The relevant question in psychiatry shouldn't be what's wrong with you, but what happened to you.

Eleanor Longden

woodsgnome

Not sure who said it but I like this one:

Be the person you needed when you were younger.

KayFly

"We're not bad people. We just come from a bad place." -Sissie from the movie Shame

MaryAnn

"Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it's holy ground. There's no greater investment."–Stephen Covey

Stephen Covey is one of my favorite authors.  It is a challenge to remain patient with myself.  Self-growth can be a positive, fun experience at times. But when you are trying to change thought patterns and negative beliefs that have been ingrained since you were a small child, it is also very painful and can be very tempting to give up.

:hug: MaryAnn

Dutch Uncle

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Emma Goldman (attributed)

It's a 'soundbite' made from this autobiographical piece:
"At the dances I was one of the most untiring and gayest. One evening a cousin of Sasha, a young boy, took me aside. With a grave face, as if he were about to announce the death of a dear comrade, he whispered to me that it did not behoove an agitator to dance. Certainly not with such reckless abandon, anyway. It was undignified for one who was on the way to become a force in the anarchist movement. My frivolity would only hurt the Cause.
I grew furious at the impudent interference of the boy. I told him to mind his own business. I was tired of having the Cause constantly thrown into my face. I did not believe that a Cause which stood for a beautiful ideal, for anarchism, for release and freedom from convention and prejudice, should demand the denial of life and joy. I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement would not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. "I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things." Anarchism meant that to me, and I would live it in spite of the whole world — prisons, persecution, everything. Yes, even in spite of the condemnation of my own closest comrades I would live my beautiful ideal. (p. 56)"
(source: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Emma_Goldman#Living_My_Life_.281931.29 )
(bolding mine)
(I was passionately attracted to anarchism (NOT anarchy!) in my adolescence. Didn't dare to dance though  ;D . Got over it.)   :party:

Dyess

so what are you saying here?:stars: You can always dance, if just in your mind.

Dutch Uncle

I read you wanted to dance in your house.

Sorry.

Dyess

sorry for what :)? You didn't offend me, I just didn't understand the post :) It's way over my head.

Dutch Uncle

Sorry

Ehrmm, hard habit to break.  ;)

But thanks for letting me now I didn't offend you. I was afraid I had.

:thumbup:

Lifecrafting

Good one Dutch!  Never compromise that which creates joy within...

Reminds me of one of my fav quotes by Martha Graham:

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost."

I've been looking for a quote to use as my profile signature and this one is it; thanks for prompting this memory for me!

Dutch Uncle

"The mind that opens to a new idea never returns to its original size."
Albert Einstein

Oh, and this one too  ;D

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression, or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not ... just surrounded by [toxic people]."
(edited for language)
William Gibson