Self-Help Activity 1: Taking initiative for your own personal benefit

• 2 Replies

C.

• Learning from reciprocity as I heal from CPTSD.
    • View Profile
Reminder: In order to honor our group process we ask that only current ASCA workbook group members post and respond here please.  If you would like to join in at this time or a later date please send the moderator a PM.  Thank you.

Note:  Your recovery is unique to you.  These topics and activities are suggestions.  Please feel free to do and respond to those that work for you at this time.

Self-Help

1.   How could you take initiative in a way that would benefit your life?  Seeking a job promotion, buying a house, going back to school, joining an organization or a church or opening a retirement account are a few of the myriad ways that you can take a step that could benefit you.  Remember, the basis for taking such initiative is feeling entitled to share in success and prosperity.  This feeling grows from within, but eventually you have to put that internal belief into practice by taking action in the outside world.

VeryFoggy

• View Profile
IMHO I have already shared richly in life's blessings, successes and prosperity.  I think it is time for me to start giving back.  So I am enjoying and trying to appreciate my rewards now.  Enjoying my grandchildren, gazing at my beautiful gardens, enjoying beautiful sunsets over a lake every evening, wondering at the amazing formations of clouds that are always different. And trying to get back into a walking routine through my neighborhood and park,  Being thankful that I have a body with no aches, no pains, no joint issues, just being thankful and trying to take care of what I have been so richly blessed with.

But I think I need to do a lot more than be thankful.  I am searching for what that will be.

I do need to get out more and meet people.  So maybe that sharing can be combined with meeting.  I do love efficiency and killing two birds with one stone sounds right up my alley.

Also I am trying to share what I have now when I can. Sometimes it works out.  Sometimes it does not.

bee

• View Profile
Everything I've been reading points to needing social engagement to feel good. So if I had to make a stab in the dark, which this is, that would be what I need to do. Find a way to be socially involved. I have two groups in mind. Things I like to do, and the groups are local.

However, social situations still mostly trigger me. So I think I still need more time to fully accept myself. To learn to really hear myself and what I need, and accept that those needs are ok. So that when I do expose myself to people, I will be able to hear when I need a break, and be able to take that break without feeling guilty or weird.