Professional Help Activity 2: Share and discuss dreams

• 5 Replies

C.

• Reciprocity here as we heal from relational trauma
    • View Profile
Professional Help Activity 2: Share and discuss dreams
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
Reminder: In order to honor our group process we ask that only current ASCA workbook group members post and respond here please.  If you would like to join in at this time or a later date please send the moderator a PM.  Thank you.

Note:  Your recovery is unique to you.  These topics and activities are suggestions.  Please feel free to do and respond to those that work for you at this time.

Note 2:  Professional in this topic refers to your therapist or another person whom you trust to help you in a professional way.

2.   Sharing your dreams in therapy sessions can open up exciting avenues of personal exploration. If your therapist is skilled in dream interpretation, you may want to try this. If you have been recording your dreams (refer to the discussions in Steps Two and Nine), you can bring your journal to therapy with you and read your dreams to your therapist. Together you can explore various possible meanings and interpretations. Dreams can be especially vivid and informative during the grieving process in that they may illuminate conflicts and resistances beyond your conscious awareness.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Help Activity 2: Share and discuss dreams
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »
OMG I have been dreaming up a storm and what a difference from the anxiety ridden dreams I used to have where I would be alone and wandering around trying to find my class, my class schedule, my keys, apartment/bus/plane/boat, get packed for a trip - and not able to plow through any of them.  Just really anxious and trying to find my way alone all the time. I've had those type of dreams forever.

So now my dreams are full of people from my past, my FOO, friends you name it and they are in them.  And they are generally trying to help me sort out the problem whatever that may be. The main thing is I don't feel the anxiety I used to and I don't feel alone or lost.  It's just too ..... I don't know - obvious?  Whatever, it's great not to be alone in my dreams and truly surprizing that my PD FOO are not acting up in them. 

It's not that we're (my PD FOO) are close and loving or anything in them, but it does somehow feel more like how a normal family would behave - like we're going about real life things rather than someone having a PD hissy fit or being drunk or whatever (all about them). Honestly, it feels like my IC is growing up in them somehow although I can't quite explain why I think that's so, it's just the way it feels. Hunh.

So I wonder if there will come a time when I have some really positive, fun, joyous type dreams?  That would be lovely.

Trees

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:13:11 AM »
So I wonder if there will come a time when I have some really positive, fun, joyous type dreams?  That would be lovely.

As I read your post, I tried to imagine what happy dreams would feel like.  And I got a sudden tingling dizzy feeling, in a good way, of glimpsing unimagined possibilities, sort of like the sun rising on the horizon after a long cold night.   What a great thought! :yeahthat:

VeryFoggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 03:57:52 AM »
I have crazy dreams which with effort I am mostly remembering. Here is one of my most recent.

We were at my daughter's place, my ex and I, and there was a leak somewhere and the walls were soaked and the wallpaper was lifting right off the wall in sheets, and there was a jet ski, we were going out on a jet ski, except it was the stand up kind,  and I knew it wasnít going to work and this black guy was giving us a lift out to the water,  but I had to go back to the house because I figured out what I had brought to wear was not going to work at all, and then when I got to the house I am tearing it up, and I canít find anything, and everything seems like it is in the wrong place, even the doors donít go to the rooms where I think they do, but eventually I go back to the water and they are gone. A male kid tells me they are over at some nature preserve for water fowl and he says he will show me how to get there.  We are walking through neck high disgusting water, and I ask if there is not another cleaner way to get there, and he says yes and itís an eagle and osprey refuge where we are going and I think I am excited and curious to see the eagles and I wake up.

Okay interpretation. The wall paper theme is becoming a pattern in my dreams.  And it is always a shade of blue. Blue means sadness right?  So I am lifting away a layer of sadness to expose what is underneath. And I am lifting it with water which symbolizes washing away, cleansing. And my ex and I and this crazy jet ski just will not work. It is made for one person, not two people and if we both try to ride on it, we will have to sit down and we will drown from the back spray.  So I go back to the house, my mind, to look for something that may help the situation, but I really donít find anything that will work well.  And nothing being what I think it is or where it is supposed to be?  Thatís what I am discovering.  Nothing in my life was as I believed it to be.  All of it was different than what I thought. But when I go back to where we were he is already gone. Which is true he has been no contact for 6 weeks. And the kid who was going to take me to where they are?  Is my inner child trying to guide me. This was a tough wiry strong kid who seemed to have street smarts but who was also kind enough to help me get where I wanted to go.  Was open enough to decide to spend some time just helping me. And the disgusting neck high water we were slogging through was where I feel I am at, just really slogging along trying to find my way to where I want to go.  But the kid gave me hope.  He said there was another cleaner way to get there, and that we are going to go see some eagles. That sounded exciting and interesting and I was relieved we were going to get out of the nasty neck high water.

C.

• Reciprocity here as we heal from relational trauma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »
I love reading about dreams.  They say so much.  Your dream had me feeling a lot VF.  And the thought that we can be in that happy place Trees.  Kizzie, I've stopped having those anxious dreams as well.  I usually dream that I'm in the future or now, and happier...

As a side note I work w/someone who often has happy dreams.  She wakes up and tells me how happy she felt in her dream, usually reliving a past, positive experience.  She tends towards depression off and on now, but I notice she has a lot to draw on from her past.  It's telling about her life.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:37:18 PM »
It sounds like your IC perked up when you read that sentence Trees and maybe that's a sign you are ready for some of that positivity and joyousness?  My dreams are past oriented right now but like yours C I suspect they will become future or present oriented too and that the tone will be lighter.  They're a bit on the mundane and obvious side compared to yours VF lol. I loved the going through cleaner water and seeing some eagles part - that is hopeful, positive, future oriented - a light at the end of the tunnel?

I am still oriented in the past but it's like I'm sending myself back in time and letting younger me grow up more normally, but it is adult me that's there (integrating?). There's no sense of wishfulness in them like "I wish it had been this way" - it's like actually being there and not being alone like i always dreamt (and felt I guess) I was. I don't know, that's as close as I can get. 

In any event I'd be happy if after this phase integrated me has some lovely dreams for the present and/or future. And I hope the same for all of you  :hug: