The Invisible Scar blog and article on narcissistic parents

Started by smg, June 19, 2015, 02:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smg

Hi all,

I want to recommend the blog The Invisible Scar, in general, and the particular article titled "Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) in the Movie 'Tangled': Mother Does Not Know Best."

https://theinvisiblescar.wordpress.com/2014/11/22/narcissistic-personality-disorder-in-the-movie-tangled-mother-does-not-know-best/

If you haven't seen it, the movie "Tangled" is a retelling of the Rapunzel story, with Mother Gothel as the witch who kidnaps a child for her own purposes, and imprisons her in a tower. (Please be aware that several commenters on The Invisible Scar report feeling triggered when watching the movie.) The article I like presents 19 NPD traits shown by Gothel. It's nicely laid out with the fictional behaviour and then real life equivalents.

My mother is a covert narcissist, and, for me, this article helps me to accept the real impact of all those sneaky little behaviours. It seems ridiculous as a write it, but it's really comforting to see a respectable resource (in my opinion) drawing some sort of equivalency between A) locking a child in a tower, and B) not making the effort to take a child to sports, clubs or play dates. Both make it difficult for the child to form bonds with anyone but the NPD parent.

smg

mourningdove

Great link, smg! Thank you :)

I just took a break mid-post to read it a second time and it hit home even more than when I had read it earlier. Wow. It's almost scary how accurate it is. Almost triggering for me but incredibly validating. Definitely a keeper.