Where to go for help

Started by Danice, June 20, 2015, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danice

I was the victim of aggrevated assault almost a year ago.  I had a few appointments set up, however, the counselors cancel when they find out I have a civil case going.  I have offered to sign a waiver that they won't be subpoena'd, no one will help.  I need to talk, I need to learn how to deal with this PTSD.  I have disassociated from everyone.  Flashbacks and nightmares are getting more frequent.  I live in Phoenix, AZ

VeryFoggy

Danice - Welcome and I so sorry you are having so much trouble finding a therapist.  That's truly awful that someone like you who truly needs the help is turned away for fear of being involved in a court case. I am so sorry. That's got to feel like a double whammy.

Do you have a doctor who can prescribe some medications to help calm your flashbacks and symptoms?  Sometimes medication can help take down some of the anxiety a notch.

Also for myself I find reading books on topic is very helpful.  I like to use Amazon.com Kindle books and I am finding if I get interested in a specific topic like PTSD, the website will then begin suggesting other books for me to read. Sometimes that way I find more on the same subject that is helpful.

If it was a case of DV there are probably county or city agencies that could help you with finding a counselor? That just sounds so unfair to refuse you treatment because of a case! Again I am sorry and I hope you find someone soon and that maybe some medication and reading and of course browsing this forum may help you.

Word of caution!  if you are using your real name you will want to change that for your own protection.  Also it is usually not wise to give out your location.  Sometimes stalkers can be persistent and we want this forum to a safe place for everyone.

Anyway welcome and glad to have you!

Kizzie

Hi Danice and welcome to OOTS.  I am truly sorry that you were assaulted and are now dealing with PTSD and all of the legal and psychological issues surrounding your trauma.   :hug:

VeryFoggy has made some good suggestions and  I would add that there is a forum dedicated to PTSD that may have additional and specific information and support.  It's called MyPTSD and the link is https://www.myptsd.com/.   While some of our members suffer from PTSD because they experienced assault or something else that was very traumatic, most people here are trying to recover from ongoing or long term abuse (emotional, physical, sexual) which has led to the development of Complex PTSD and is somewhat different than PTSD.  There isn't likely to be much specific information for you at OOTS whereas I'm fairly certain there would be at MyPTSD.  I'm not trying to chase you away or anything, you are most welcome here but I just wanted you to know about the other site so you are in the best place to find the info/answers you're looking for  :yes: