Psoriasis and Cptsd

Started by Jdog, June 25, 2015, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

I have suffered with psoriasis for over 50 years and only recently made the connection between this and cptsd.  My cptsd has other causes as well coming from my FOO but the amount of fear, shame, and depression that has been the result of psoriasis is certainly a contributing factor in the entire mix.  I remember having to lie face up on a table as a 4 year old, with at least 3 male doctors staring at my genital region (which was covered with psoriasis lesions).  This is one of my earliest medical memories and I still feel the horror and shame of it all.

Over the years my condition has gotten better, gone into remission, gotten worse and all without my knowing when one phase will stop and another begin.  It is horrible now and I am hoping for new medicine soon.

bee

I think the medical profession has a long way to go in order to adhere to their oath of 'first do no harm'. I had a traumatic medical experience when I was three, that I think contributed to my Cptsd. I think such things are way too common, and too often overlooked. I'm sorry that you experienced this.

Jdog

Thanks, friends, for the support and encouragement!  Good news is that I received a call from my health care provider letting me know that my GP's office has approved a referral to the dermatology dept. - and all this even though my GP is on vacation for the next two weeks.  I guess my email, which was read by someone covering my GP's mailbox, was persuasive and got to the point well enough.  So, I will call next week and get scheduled and be one step closer to a less miserable existence, skin-wise.  I have been in denial about the extent to which psoriasis has been causing depression and finally snapped out of it and asked for help. 

Yay!

Kizzie

Yay indeed!   Great self-care JDog  :thumbup:

basically0kkim

Just wanted to let Jdog know that you are not alone. I have psoriasis and know that taunting in school and rejection by peers was a huge contributing factor to my CPTSD. I went on a drug study 5 years ago for the associated arthritis and my skin has been significantly clear since 3 months into the study. Hold on to the hope because there are certainly new options on the horizon. Peace.

Jdog

Good news!  I have been using Enbrel since late summer and my psoriasis is really nearly gone.  I am not constantly scratching my head, not trying to hide my arms, not wondering when and where new lesions will appear.  Furthermore, my IBS is much better as well.  Clearly, a connection here within the immune system.

I hope others also experience this relief, if possible.

Kizzie

That's awesome JDog, my son has been having some problems and hasn't found anything that works yet so I will let him know.  I take it that's a prescription med?

Jdog

Hi, Kizzie-

Yes, Enbrel is by prescription.  It has been out for awhile now so I think it should be on the formularies of most HMOs/medical providers, etc.

I hope it works out for him.

Happy New Year!

Kizzie

Happy New Year to you as well  :hug:  I passed the name along to him and he is going to check it out when he gets back.  Tks again  :thumbup:

Jdog

Dyess

One thing that I found to help is Vicks Vapor Rub. Don't ask me how it works but it cleared up my elbows nicely.

Jdog

Interesting!  And on a side note, I'll bet the issue of stuffy elbows subsided as well (lol). :thumbup:

Kizzie

Jut saw this - too funny JDog!

tesscaline

LOL @ stuffy elbows!   :applause:

On a more serious note:  I have psoriasis on my fingers, around my nail beds.  I seem to have the worst time with it when I'm under high stress.  If I can lower my stress, it fades quite a bit and is barely noticeable.