Spartanlifecoach

Started by jessetwigg, July 05, 2015, 12:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessetwigg

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wVG_H5olyQ

:yeahthat:

I've just finished watching it, my brain is still processing (I'm going through a fuzzy head stage) but I can already tell you one thing...

The most helpful thing I've ever seen

:sunny:

mourningdove

Thanks for sharing!  :thumbup:

I'm embarrassed to say that the first time I stumbled upon Spartanlifecoach, I almost didn't watch, thinking, "What could this jock guy in the tank top possibly have to offer me?" Turns out he is really knowledgeable - and funny, too.

I've never been able to understand meditation, and this video helps a lot! He's also spot on about meditation being harder for people with CPTSD and about Eckhart Tolle's teachings not being geared toward us (important to know to avoid shame and frustration when they don't work out). I thought it was also a great point he made recommending that people with CPTSD be very careful about watching TV and especially advertizements, as they train the viewer to be reactive. And so much more... in less than twenty minutes!

DaisyMae

Thank you Black Panther!  This guy has a great down to earth way of explaining things.   I started to watch some of his other videos as well but had to stop about have through on the one about Covert Narcissists.  It was too triggering.  I have always been confused about where my husband fits in the world of narcissist's.  I always end up feeling like it is me that has done something wrong and I need to be understanding because he has suffered abuse that he does not understand.  But, while I am sure he does not understand that his childhood has contributed to his narcissism, I have no doubts now that he is a Covert Narcissist.  Once I listened to the Spartanlifecoach explain it in layman terms and give good examples, it was like a light went on in my head.  Again, thank you for sharing!

DM

Dutch Uncle

I've watched quite some video's by him when I was starting to get out of the fog about a year ago, and they were a great catalyst in pushing me further out.

Later on I got a bit disillusioned, as he seems to be rambling on quite a lot about Ngf such, Ngf so, Narcissist here and Narcissist there. I sometimes get the idea he has a pretty bad case of the fleas. "yeah yeah yeah, enough about YOU!" is a thought that regularly creeps into my mind.

But yeah, he seems to be 'in the know', and he posts plenty of thought provoking stuff.

Thanks for posting this, BlackPanther. I liked it.

woodsgnome

BlackPanther, this is spot-on, directly related to cptsd, and stands out beautifully in the confusing maze of self-help gurus and celebrity authors carried away by their slick marketing images. This video is a perfect antidote to the noise that's passed off as must-do techniques promising  magical results. As he points out, those may even work for many; but cptsd is a condition requiring a different approach and he calmly explains why. Gee, he even dares to show a refreshing sense of humor.

Thank you!!! :applause: 

katzy

I subscribed to his YouTube website and have seen most all of his posts. He has helped me more than anything else, altho EMDR first got me to a point I was able to move forward.
I also bought two of his courses that include several videos, audio downloads, written assignments, semi-hypnotic relax mode audios, and condensed material he would relay in private sessions.
In his YouTube videos he gives names of authors, books, and excellent resources. He collaborates with other experts in the field in his videos. He is very knowledgeable and compassionate.
He has described the behavior of my husband as a narcissist that I have continued to excuse, believing he would change. He went through it himself, describes the cause and effect, and found answers from experts. He described my co-dependency from childhood, being the family scapegoat, and my resulting repercussions so that I know I am not imagining I am suffering from a real disorder. Now I know why I cannot get myself out of it.
Seeing my life revealed and knowing it happens to others and the symptoms are the same, makes it real so I can act on it and feel confident to fight for my self worth in the meantime. Also I recognize the other bullies in my life so I don't cave in to them.
It takes a long time to really sink in because there is so much information but I am finally applying knowledge of the dynamics. I don't have to wonder if I'm imagining my bad feelings or thinking it's all my fault.

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: Dutch Uncle on July 05, 2015, 03:50:09 PM
Later on I got a bit disillusioned, as he seems to be rambling on quite a lot about Ngf such, Ngf so, Narcissist here and Narcissist there. I sometimes get the idea he has a pretty bad case of the fleas. "yeah yeah yeah, enough about YOU!" is a thought that regularly creeps into my mind.

Today, SpartanLifeCoach popped up in my visit to the YouTube 'homepage' (customized for any individual multiple visitor, I'm sure):
Title: How to Take Revenge On A Narcissist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16WtoFrlQRk

Having seen so many positive reviews, and having had positive experiences myself I decided to watch that video... And it's a 'perfect' video to illustrate why the guy gives me the creeps.
I haven't watched more then eleven minutes of it. As soon as he stared to "comically" state he was "so generous, I'm a people pleaser!" and stared to 'pull' the dog's ears, I ran.

Probably I just get "triggered".

I still wanted to share my experience. I'm not casting a judgement on him.
He still has helped me on the way at times. But I'm cautious...

Peace,
Dutch Uncle.

Laynelove

I love the spartan life coach.

Like anyone else, not everything he posts is going to relate to you directly because every persons experience of cptsd is different.

I think he does a great job of helping a wide range of sufferers, you just have to sort out which videos are relevant to your situation. As for making things about his own experience, I think he is just relating what his experience was to what he did to overcome. Kinda like a 'if I can get well, recovery is possible' thing which I think is great to have something positive in a sea of negativity and doom and gloom we find on the internet.

I think he has a really great balance between validating what people go through and providing solutions. Totally recommend him for anyone who has been through narcissistic abuse.

Richard Grannon

hey thanks for this thread and the positive feedback  :thumbup:

if there is anything you want me to cover in the videos then please let me know!

pam

When i'm in an EF, watching his videos and listening to him, feeling his energy, just lifts me up a bit and I don't feel as bad! I'm not actually taking any advice or doing anything different--just his words help me and that's enough for me.

I recently watched the one about whether Donald Trump is a Psychopathic Narcissist. It was my FAVORITE!!! Just absolutely great. Not just because I hate Dump, but I saw a lot of my father in there too. So I felt less crazy.  :thumbup:

89abc123

I love his videos!

Helpful, entertaining and inspiring!

He has helped me to lose the 'cure' fantasy and accept my situation for what it is. Not ideal, but hopefully with his courses I'll be able to recover to some degree.

Plus max is a legend!

steamy

I just watched this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2Sswfl4-w and I have seen a lot of people attacking narcissists on the form, I agree with Amanda that we are all victims of one kind or another, I believe that narcissists have learned a power game to externalise their pain whereas we tend to internalise it and beat ourselves up, just different sides of the same coin. It was Alice Miller who tried to investigate Hitler's childhood and found evidence of an abusive father and a unloving emotionally distant mother.

Dutch Uncle

Quote from: steamy on May 24, 2016, 12:35:50 PM
It was Alice Miller who tried to investigate Hitler's childhood and found evidence of an abusive father and a unloving emotionally distant mother.
A small thread jack, but I recently watched Inside the Mind of Adolf Hitler.
QuoteTimewatch documentary - A Documentary, with dramatised elements, looking at the psychological profile of Adolf Hitler compiled by a team of Harvard psychologists in 1943. Interviewing former colleagues and the former family doctor who had fled to the USA and using Freudian techniques and theories of the day they came up with a profile and predicted how he would react to certain situations, concluding that he would not surrender and would be most likely to * when faced with defeat. This led to future profiling of many world leaders and dictators
This profiling was the first developmental step in what is now widely used to profile serial offenders so they can be tracked down.
An interesting watch, perhaps, so I thought I'd share.

[/threadjack]

Chartery

The Spartanlifecoach videos have provided me with great insight and early on in my recovery journey was instrumental in breaking through a few unknown/unseen blocks.  I've watched all of his youtube videos and some 4 or 5 times at least.  I find his videos when he is most vulnerable and clearly authentic and perhaps even a little distressed the best - easiest for me to relate and I think he is more authentic when in touch with his own vulnerability.  He's a self professed 'Fight/Fawner' and for me this can be a little scary at times because the 'fight' response I automatically associate with Narcissism.  However, that would be black and white thinking, I think...  Also, he does talk about the importance of critical thinking, which I like and if I choose not to agree with some of his stuff, that's fine for me because I do appreciate a lot of his material and when there is stuff that just doesn't jive for me, I just think, well he's a little different than I am, but thanks for putting stuff out there.  It helped for me.  I'm a freezer and I think freezers and fighters are very different in many respects but I like what he puts out there and I when there's something that doesn't feel right to me, I try not to judge.  And yeah, I have fleas too, trying to see them all so I can swat them accordingly...

89abc123

I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that someone has to be the "same" as them to be able to help them.

I'm also a freeze type, But I love that spartanlifecoach is a fight type because narcissistic or not, fight types get in and get * done and that's the mentality I have to force myself to adopt more of if I want to recover.

Fight is the reason spartanlifecoach has recovered enough to make videos.

Freeze is the reason I'm the one sitting alone in my room watching the videos.

It's a sad reality, but I think the point of recovery is to adopt all elements of coping mechanisms. i wish I could turn some of my anger outward (into fitness or business) instead of inward to self loathing and isolation.