Professional Help Activity 1: Explore terminating therapy

• 2 Replies

C.

• Reciprocity here as we heal from relational trauma
    • View Profile
Professional Help Activity 1: Explore terminating therapy
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »
Reminder: In order to honor our group process we ask that only current ASCA workbook group members post and respond here please.  If you would like to join in at this time or a later date please send the moderator a PM.  Thank you.

Note:  Your recovery is unique to you.  These topics and activities are suggestions.  Please feel free to do and respond to those that work for you at this time.

1.   By now you are probably thinking about terminating your therapy. You have gained the perspective to understand your feelings and reactions to life events and have the capacity to make additional changes as needed. You feel strong, stable and ready to meet life's challenges. You may well feel that you can be your own therapist now. Nevertheless, the idea of "going out on your own" may bring up feelings of self-doubt, insecurity and possibly even loss. Don't worry. This is normal, even at the lofty height of Step Twenty-one! You have benefited greatly from this most unusual professional relationship, and the idea of not having its support may be difficult to accept. You may have grown very fond of your therapist, who has become so much more than the person to whom you tell your problems.

C.

• Reciprocity here as we heal from relational trauma
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Help Activity 1: Explore terminating therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
ē   I thought this was the case about 1 Ĺ yrs ago but breaking up w/a toxic BF sent me spiraling down again.  Now I think itíll be when I consistently feel love for myself, can assert appropriately myself most of the time at work, w/parents, w/friends, and w/my son, I donít experience depression or EFís, and I have a few reliable adults IRL w/reciprocated friendship love.  At the moment that seems like itíll be a few more years.

VeryFoggy

• View Profile
Re: Professional Help Activity 1: Explore terminating therapy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 01:33:53 AM »
Yes agreed C.  I am in no way shape or form ready to even consider terminating therapy since I just started in March, and she did drop the bomb on me only last week about believing I was possibly SAed.