Old photos - keep or burn?

Started by schrödinger's cat, October 06, 2014, 07:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marycontrary

Here is an idea. There are a number of services online where you can send your old photos to be scanned very inexpensively. You could just box them up, have them scanned, and go through them with you comfort of you tablet or computer at a later date.

Just an idea...this is what I did with old triggering photos.

C.

My gut response is that you definitely need to blow at least some of those photos up!  We "blew up" a gingerbread house with firecrackers one year and someone else I know "blows up" his christmas tree every new year's day (basically with fire works and a little fire and a LOT of water close by just in case).  I've done things like that as a way to create a healthy, empowering memory. 

Like carrying 40 lbs. of sand down a very steep stairway and to the beach where I dumped it in to the ocean when I lost 40 pounds.

Or destroying the painful pages of my "divorce" journal by crumpling each page, tossing it in to the garbage, and crushing it in the dumpster.

Another part of me says don't destroy those pictures of the sad or unhappy you b/c (because) part of the journey is developing compassion for that you.  And I hope that you're loved ones look at those photos with compassion.

As for photos I have the same dilemna, but mine most painful photos are the 22 years of my married/family life that include my own children, so I'm having to keep the photos for them.  Like you, I had the pics in my living space in the hopes of organizing them.  When I moved I put them all in boxes and shut them away for now and that lifted a weight off of my shoulders.  Simply having the photos in my personal space was creating a negative environment for me.  I also used my smart phone to take photos of some of the photos and stored that as my temporary "album."  My daughter agreed that she'd like to help with the photos one day. I know that I don't want to go through them alone.  So that's what's worked for me for the moment...Your photo project sounds like one that needs a supportive loved one.  Often another person without the history can take sincere pleasure in looking at photos which can in turn help us enjoy or develop compassion around our past.

Also from my perspective, there is nothing that says you need to decide what to do with those photos "now." 

So, maybe do what works for you now...blow up a few you really dislike  and grab a couple from the top for an album...then put the rest away or blow them up.  And you can tell people that your childhood was too unpleasant for you to share photos with them if you want no matter what you decide ;)  Whatever you decide to do this sounds like an opportunity for some steps towards growth.  And no need to try to jump a tall hurdle before you're ready...life gives plenty of other opportunities for practice...

Also your post is a reminder that I can be creative in how I approach my photos as well!

Thanks for the reciprocity :)

alovelycreature

I actually threw out a ton of my journals one time because they triggered me. I'm still mad to this day I did it. I think the journals validated my feelings, but also show how far I've come. However, maybe it is the right thing for you to get rid of them. I don't read my journals, but I take them where ever I move. I used to feel like I was carrying around old negative feelings, but I feel now I'm bring around my strength. Without my experience and journals I would not be where I am today--on the path to self compassion.

It's really up to you what is best for you. Maybe there is some sort of ceremony you can have to burn them, or toss them. Maybe it will help you move forward from your old self. Everyone is different.

flookadelic

I have an out of sight out of mind policy with mine. I can't imagine that burning them would be that therapeutic for me. But that's just me.