Needing Information and Help

Started by Oxygen, July 10, 2015, 02:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxygen

Hi all,

This is my first post here. Earlier this week, during therapy, my therapist mentioned that I seem to have symptoms of CPTSD. I am currently taking medication for PTSD but still think there may be something more involved. The medication has been helping and I've been in therapy for almost two years as well as taking the medication (it was originally given to me for anxiety attacks). I've been doing some research on CPTSD but am still not sure I know what it is or what to do about it. So that's why I'm here.

Several years ago I left a 12-year relationship with a NPD'd person and am still trying to recover. I've been making really good progress in that area but still have emotional flashbacks as well as emotional flashbacks to my childhood and my narcissistic mother. I'm going to start reading and researching here as well as elsewhere and see what I can discover.

Thanks for sponsoring this site for those of us who know 'something' is still not quite 'right' with us but are making every attempt to recover.

Trees

Hi Oxygen, and welcome!  Please read around on the site on the subjects that feel important to you.  All of us here have CPTSD and are here to support each other as we learn how to deal with the condition.  The Guidelines for Members is a good place to start. 

Also, we recommend a book by Pete Walker, "CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving," as a really good place to learn about the many facets of the condition.  I really like this book, because of its warm and compassionate viewpoint.

Complex PTSD is also known as complex trauma or developmental trauma.  Traumatic events in one's childhood can have a lasting effect on a person's mental health, such as the emotional flashbacks you describe having.  Come join us as we seek healing and peace in our lives.

All the best to you on your journey.   :hug:

VeryFoggy

Hello Oxygen! And what a great name!  Breathing helps. Just breathe.  When those flashbacks come, just breathe. I know that sound simplistic, but that is what helps me is breathing and doing things that make me breathe.  Like push ups, or vigorous walking or anything very physical.

It is a long and difficult journey - to put all the pieces together of WHY we did what we did.  But if we work hard enough and long enough it will eventually all make sense.

I second Trees recommendation of Pete Walker's book: Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder From Surviving To Thriving. It was very helpful to me.  The first step in a long journey.

It feels like forever but I have really only been fully committed for a year and a half. But I have learned so much! I wish you the same feeling of success and understanding.

We are glad you are here and we will all help in any way that we can! :hug:

Oxygen

Thanks for the welcome VeryFoggy and Trees  :wave:

Funny thing, I got a sample of the book you both mentioned and started reading it today. Guess I'll go ahead now and get the full version (Kindle). Its always nice to read a book by someone who has direct experience with the subject of the book.

I probably won't be posting much at first until I kind of get familiar with the site but so far, it looks like I'll be hanging out here quite a bit. I really appreciate the time and energy it must be taking to maintain the site and know it will help me on my journey.

Best to both of you on your journeys and thanks again  ;D

mourningdove

mutualsoul

Hello Oxygen!   Good to meet you! 
I finished Pete Walker's book a week ago, and also recommend it.  I also recommend reading a lot of the threads on this board, and really diversifying in your practice to build self-esteem.
I had a decade long relationship with a narcissistic sociopath, so kinda like you.   It's been over for five years since that ended, but I still have awful nightmares, emotional flashbacks, and have to talk through what happened to me with my safe person.   I'm glad you are here, and I hope you find some answers.  :hug:

Oxygen

Thanks for the welcome everybody!  ;D

mutualsoul, for sure its been a little longer than that for me. In the past couple of months accidentally started reading and learning about narcissism and sociopathy. When I first started reading, I kept getting triggered and couldn't understand why. But I kept reading and the more I read, the more I wondered who these people were who had apparently been living my life. Our stories were so similar it amazed me! I still sometimes have trouble believing that so many people have had the exact same experiences I've had! But its good to know I'm not alone and that it wasn't my fault. This has been such a relief to me.

I had already been diagnosed with PTSD several years ago but recently my therapist mentioned that I exhibit signs of PTSD. I said, "You mean CPTSD?" And she said, "Yes. That's the new one." So over the weekend I was on Out of  the Fog and clicked on the CPTSD tab which brought me here. So here I am; trying to research CPTSD and learn as much as possible about it - especially treatments.

Again, thanks for the warm welcomes and know I truly am trying to get there from here  :hug:

La

Thanks everyone.  I guess this is the " real " start to my journey. I have a lot to learn, but it is nice to see that others can understand. Feelings are hard....