focusing

Started by Kittylover, July 17, 2015, 01:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kittylover

I really have trouble focusing on things -between dissociating and just being distractable. I'm in college and I'm really having trouble with learning the material, and being able to do work....does anyone have any strategies on being able to focus better?

Dyess

hypervigilante

Yes!

When you find yourself out of focus, do you ever remember what it was you were thinking about?

I feel I can very much relate to what you're saying. Don't forget, though- college learning isn't really brain-friendly way to learn. You will definitely find your rhythm, but that scholastic level of achievement is not organized in a way that makes your brain easy to learn and focus on material. It's a challenge, but definitely one with solutions!

arpy1

don't know if this is relevant, but about 10 yrs ago i did a degree, having been out of learning zone for about 30 yrs. the only way i could do the study required was to bitesize it: do a bit, get a coffee, 5 min break, do a bit more.  gradually the 'bits' got longer and the breaks shorter and less frequent. it was a struggle but it did help, definitely. i never broke the caffeine addiction, tho... :sadno:

:hug:

KayFly

I also have a really hard time focusing, not because I am easily distracted, but because I am very aware of my surroundings. I relate with dissociation too. 

I sit in the front of every class, and if I don't understand something, I ask the teacher immediately. I also go to my teachers if I am struggling and falling behind in the work, and I sign up for tutoring at the beginning of the semester. Also other students can be really helpful, if you feel safe in reaching out.

Take the time for you, and make sure you are taking really good care of yourself. That is essential for your success.

I'm just starting out my term too. So I am right here with you. I hope it gets better.

BigGreenSee123

I am currently in college as well - I am a graduate student now. I have always done well in school but as of the last year have found it getting harder and harder to keep focus. I can definitely relate; it's so tough sometimes to focus on things that can seem so unimportant in comparison to our own struggles.

It may only be a minor suggestion but one thing I have found helpful is to practice self-compassion as much as possible. If you find your are having trouble focusing and have the time, give yourself the freedom to step away a bit, take a breather, even take a day off if you can. I have found it is sometimes exactly what I need to return to my work later with renewed energy and motivation.

Best of luck to you :)