What is the Type 4F Freeze response?

Started by Indigochild, July 25, 2015, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indigochild

Hello everyone

I have a question about one of the Type 4Fs that Pete Walker talks about on his website, the Freeze type.
Here is the link to the page if anyone wants to read it:
http://www.pete-walker.com/fourFs_TraumaTypologyComplexPTSD.htm

Ok so it says that:
The Fight type is the Narcissistic defence.
The Fight type and the Obsessive compulsive defines
The Freeze type and the Disasoiciative defence
The Fawn type and the codependent defence

My question is....you have Narcisistic, OCD, codependent, and Dissociative...
I was thinking...narcissist...codependent...does anyone know what *disorder* would be given to someone who's type 4F is The dissociative? Borderline?
Upon writing this i am wondering what the Obsessive compulsive person would be deemed as too

If anyone knows i would be interested to hear what you think.
Thanks

Indigochild

Sorry, auto corrrect-
i meant-
The *Flight* type and the Obsessive compulsive defence

Dutch Uncle

I'm not sure what you mean by *disorder*, but I guess you are hinting at Personality Disorders (PD)

Quote from: Indigochild on July 25, 2015, 03:44:35 PM
Ok so it says that:
The Fight type is the Narcissistic defense.
The Flight type and the Obsessive compulsive defense
The Freeze type and the Disasoiciative defense
The Fawn type and the codependent defense

So I'd say:
The Fight type is the Narcissistic PD. (or possibly any Cluster B, the other being Histrionic, Borderline and Anti-Social)
The Flight type is the Obsessive Compulsive PD (which is something quite different from OCD, btw) (a cluster C)
The Freeze type is the Avoidant PD (another cluster C)
The Fawn type is the Dependent PD (and yet another cluster C)

To elaborate a bit I'll quote from the article in support of my list:

The Fight type is the Narcissistic PD. Fight types are unconsciously driven by the belief that power and control [over others] can create safety, assuage abandonment and secure love. (a common denominator of all Cluster B PDs)
The Flight type is the Obsessive Compulsive PD. Flight types appear as if their starter button is stuck in the "on" position. They are obsessively and compulsively driven by the unconscious belief that perfection will make them safe and lovable (workaholics (including the 'perfect housewife' for example), or any addiction driven behavior I guess.)
The Freeze type is the Avoidant PD. Many freeze types unconsciously believe that people and danger are synonymous, and that safety lies in solitude. (disengage, or dis-sociative in the most literal sense: no socialization)
The Fawn type is the Dependent PD. Fawn types seek safety by merging with the wishes, needs and demands of others [...] forfeiture of all their [own] needs, rights, preferences and boundaries. (i.e. dependent on 'the other')

I hope this helped.

Interestingly enough, I noticed none of the cluster A PDs (Paranoid, Schizoid and Schizotypal) fit any of the 4Fs. (as far as I can see, but I'm no expert)

Indigochild

Dutch Uncle, thankyou so much for your opinion on my question.
Yes, i did mean in terms of personality disorders.
It makes sense for the Fight, the narcisistic defence...to have borderline etc. attached, because i know that borderline and narcisitic PD is very similar and intertwined in traits and that people can be co morbid with both.
That makes a lot of sense to me.
I thought i am this type as a sub set, but dissociative is the main one, so i thought that that thad to be borderline, but no, fight type is cluster b most likely and bpd is in cluster b and goes alone with narcissism in a lot of cases.

I have heard of OCPD- very sure my mum also has that as well as NPD- undiagnosed all of it, but maybe thats why i developed aggressive fight tendancies and OCD behaviours,- even though never allowed to exhibit them at home - hense the dissociative defence.

Avoidant PD makes a lot of sense.
I am confused as I have been thinking i have avoidant codependent tendencies...
I guess i just want a better understanding of whats going on with me.

Its all a result of trauma.

Thanks so much for that  ;)

Interestingly enough, I noticed none of the cluster A PDs (Paranoid, Schizoid and Schizotypal) fit any of the 4Fs. (as far as I can see, but I'm no expert)