Sleep issues, sleep walking?

Started by Dyess, July 31, 2015, 05:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

Anyone else have sleep issues with their C-PTSD? I have a hard time falling asleep, and often intrusive thoughts and memories show up right before going to sleep. I often sleep walk. When I sleep though I am very still in bed, pretty much pull myself in tight. Also, do this thing called by observers "the claw" where I hold my hand up above my face and slowly start from my forehead and drape my fingers down my face. May be a self soothing thing. Not sure. According to them I do it often and they have video of it. Kind of odd to be watching yourself sleep.

Dutch Uncle

Hello Trace,

I definitely have sleep issues. I don't sleepwalk, but can have trouble falling asleep, wake up in the middle of the night, and have especially problems waking up: as soon as I become awake my mind is often immediately active processing nasty events/encounters I had with people (usually FOO-members, but they can also be others who have had no regard for my boundaries).

At some point in my OOTF-journey I found a site which has an article about sleep problems in relation to PTSD (the writer is not an MD or the like, so take it with a grain of salt). A key phrase in that article for me is:
QuoteIt can be hard to get out of bed in the middle of the night, even if it would be easier to go to sleep afterward. Perhaps something in you needs reminding that adults are allowed to get up when it suits them. (emphasis mine)
That thought really helps me if I wake up in the middle of the night. So I then get out, do whatever feels comfortable or "needs to be done" and are usually able to get back to bed later and sleep well.
Or discover at dawn I've still rested during these wake hours.

Perhaps you'll find something useful for yourself in the article.
Title: Rest at Sleep's Threshold
http://www.traumahealed.com/articles/rest-at-sleeps-threshold.html

Good night!  ;)
Dutch Uncle

Butterfly

Sleep issues were huge for me. Someone here recommended Andrew Johnson recordings. Others recommended mindfulness techniques. Both have helped me.

Dyess

Thanks for the replies. I guess maybe in time that will get easier. Slept for about 2 hrs. and woke in a panic thinking someone was in the house. Geesh. Guess I will go back to sleep when it gets daylight.

Boatsetsailrose

Hello
I we just thinking of this issue the other day
Re the thoughts before bed - yes shows where are brains are at with the cptsd and also we can get into patterns ie 'I always have this before bed
Meditation I find helps a lot - and muscle relaxation
I used to sleep walk a lot as a teenager - I would go downstairs and talk to my parents - it was always anxiety related - I wanted re assurance and to feel safe - I used to have awful dreams too about war etc
When I sleep I have a habit of laying on my front with arms up near head - it is uncomfortable and creates a lot of shoulder tension-- I seem to be succeeding in getting out of this habit lately . I also scratch my pillow I like the feel of comfort it gives me .
I used to suck my thumb until well into my 30's ( I know ) but thank goodness that has gone now
Valerian tea is good b4 bed
Things are sure to improve in time with the right help

Dyess

I have sleep apnea and I think that has something to do with me getting up too. It's a little awkward when you have those nights were you jump up out of bed and the CPAP about breaks your neck holding you to the bed. Not fun, most of the time I will not put the CPAP back on after that. One night I took the CPAP apart and just laid it on the night stand. Then I woke and realized it wasn't on and I tried to put it on and ....well......it didn't work :)

Kizzie

Hey Trace - just saw this and while I don't sleep walk I have a similar hand, well arm, quirk.  When I fall asleep I will hold my arm up in the air - not sure why.  I don't think it's a defensive thing as I don't have many nightmares, it just feels soothing. 

When waking up or falling asleep, I used to have a really awful feeling of bleakness or grayness, like being in a netherworld (and I guess that is where we are at that stage of sleep), where there are no filters on what I am really feeling - depression, loneliness. As I recover though it has been subsiding I've noticed. I just asked my H about the arm thing, and apparently that has not happened in a while.

I tink Pete Walker is correct when he suggests that as we let out and process the anger, fear and pain, our symptoms will begin to lessen in strength and frequency.  Seems to be happening for me at least so hopefully it will be the same for you.

Dyess

That's funny about the hand thing. There must be some reason for it. I agree that it's not a defensive thing, I guess we will never know exactly what it is. I don't remember all my sleep walking events, sometimes I just find the evidence in the morning :)