checking in

Started by stillhere, August 20, 2015, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillhere

After reading a large segment of the forum, I finally registered.  I'm wary of on-line forums, but the messages here tell familiar stories.  Over the past year or so, I've been thrust back into the symptoms of CPTSD.  I last experienced this kind of storm twenty-five years ago, when the label was very new.  I've been trying to learn about research and treatment developed since then.  Clearly, much has changed.

Questions keep arising for me, so perhaps this community can help.  And I hope to contribute here from time to time.

woodsgnome

Hi, stillhere,

I look forward to seeing your take on some of these mysteries. My own view ranges from being overwhelmed to awe when I realize that there is a way with each other that's not accessible alone. And I say that from a fierce individualist do-it-yourself vantage point. If I've learned one thing so far here it's that yes, the solo trekker can survive but there's a world of hurt that's only healed by sharing the load.   

I had no idea when I first saw this site that I'd find it more than a curious stopping point. Then I looked into it, and kept experiencing a kind of blow-back at the depth and intense honesty I felt here. More of a book/print person myself, I just never figured I'd find anything beyond some psychological fluff regarding cptsd on a net forum. Wrong! So I'm also...still here, learning a lot, risking the sunshine after many years of drifting in the dark. 

stillhere

Thanks, Woodsgnome.

I, too, am a book/print person and don't participate much online (I'm not on Facebook, for instance).  But over a few days, I've found myself logging on here to see what's been posted.  I've been profoundly impressed with the clarity and empathy in the messages I've read.  Like you, I expected "fluff," and like you, I'd really like a way into more sunshine.

I've found a T who seems right, at at least so far.  I also found Pet Walker's book to be spot on, after stumbling into it about six weeks ago.  The commonalities are something I'd never known.

KayFly

Hey StillHere,

Yeah, there is a lot of empathy and validation here. I'm still somewhat new, and just jumped right in, but definitely take your time, and there are some pretty insightful people on this forum that can help out or even relate to some of the most intense feelings/problems...

I've been teeter tottering between using Facebook or not. Seems like it always upsets me. I have mine deactivated now because I just don't care what people are doing all the time, that I don't even really consider close to me ha! But I go back and forth. You kind of just inspired me to take a break from it.

Anyways, I hope you feel at home here! And Welcome!

K

stillhere

Facebook feels to me like a violation of privacy, especially because anything posted there remains on line, effectively owned by Facebook forever.

Before I registered here today, I carefully read instructions and thought about privacy.  I've been very impressed with what I've found (though it's hard not to be curious about who people are in "real" life).  All the same, the pseudonyms and option to avoid detailed profiles made me comfortable enough to join.

KayFly

True. Well I'm glad you joined, and I hope you find some healing here.