First F2F Counselor

Started by Dyess, April 05, 2015, 12:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuthberta

Quote from: Dutch Uncle on August 07, 2015, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: Cuthberta on August 07, 2015, 01:45:29 PM
You don't get a car mechanic saying, well, what exactly do you want us to do? You just want them to sort out the car so that it works sufficiently well to get you from a to b!
Excellent and valid point.  :thumbup:

Though when you go to a mechanic/garage, they will ask you: what's the problem? Does it not start? Does it not break? Will it not accelerate properly?

I'm sure there are plenty of mechanics who will turn your car inside out no matter what, and present you with the bill afterwards. Inventing some (expensive) fault in your car to 'back up' the huge bill. I have respect for these 'mechanics' that they didn't lure me in that trap.

But the whole event has been somewhat frustrating, as I've come no 'further'. But I'm very confident the 'mechanics' did check out  thoroughly what could have caused the 'troubles' I HAVE reported, and have said: "We can't fix this, and we even don't see anything wrong. It's just the model you are driving, sir. It's not a Porsche! Don't expect it to be one."  ;)

I guess I just have to learn to drive my 4x4, and get it of the highway.  ;D

Edited to add: I might even get quicker from a to b that way. I won't need to take the 100 mile highway-detour. (just a wish  ;) )

Perhaps those mechanics were out of their depth. It happens. :)

A GP told me to stop aiming for the top of the mountain and to settle for living in the foothills. I changed GP, and carried on aiming for the top of the mountain.

Dutch Uncle

Dyess

Last session we started to discuss coping strategies for EF and nightmares. If you Google these topics you can find all kind of things for this. But there is no guarantee to work all the time. Sometime if feels like the EF and Nightmares are so powerful, and pull you into them , where you can think of nothing else. So I guess getting a coping skill in there requires timing. I hardly ever remember dreams and I'm glad, one less battle to face.

Dyess

I spoke to my T today about the EF and dissociation being so strong that it's hard to work a grounding technique in to help. She seems to think by practicing especially on the weaker EF's that eventually I can get control over the stronger ones. makes sense. We talked more about Dad today than usual. Made it through okay, but came close to drifting off many times. I'm glad we finally approached this and we made it through it. We are still working out of the CPTSD workbook. That kind of surprises me but hey, if it helps I'll do it.