Online Therapy?

Started by Dyess, August 21, 2015, 04:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyess

Has anyone tried online therapy? I did many years ago and it worked out well but not so sure it would with this. Been searching sites looking for something that might be helpful. Found a couple but just wondering if you have any ideas.

Dyess

Okay been looking at some sites for online therapy and found some that look interesting as well as being affordable.
1. https://golantern.com/
2. http://www.online-therapy.com/

I'm actually signed up with both. Lantern has a trial 7 day free period. The other one, which seems to be more in depth, you can purchase weekly, which I have purchased a week just to see how it works out. So I'm not endorsing any of them but if interested you may want to look at these two.

I have done business with www. kalimunro.com but it's a little too pricey for me right now. She did a very good job.

stillhere

I will be interested to hear what you think about these programs.  They seem to be established programs, packages based on CBT.  I wonder how much they're individualized.  Then again, perhaps that's the wrong question, given that face-to-face therapy is often limited in similar ways.

I've heard that some therapists are offering on-line sessions, essentially taking on clients with email and video.  That possibility opens up options for some people.  If you're in a rural area, for example, you may have few choices, or you may be in a community where on-line sessions would provide greater privacy for the rest of your life.

I suppose the same questions/concerns apply to a comparison between a face-to-face therapy group and a forum like this one.

Dyess

I think for most the issue will be expense. Not sure if insurance would cover online counseling. My experience with kali was very positive, I would email her once a week with a summary from journaling and she would respond back. She was very helpful and actually the first on to identify the PTSD.
Will keep you posted. Have had email contact with a counselor on both sites. The online therapy.com counselor had me fill out a pretty in depth assessment and return to her through the site. So waiting to hear back from her tomorrow, probably.

stillhere

Yes, expense is a major issue!  For anyone paying for therapy entirely out of pocket, it can easily be a deal breaker. 

These on-line sites offer something cheaper, close to the copay requirements for some people in the U. S. (those with insurance that covers therapy at all).  Of course, all therapy is expensive -- seems like an additional injustice to need it.

I wish you the best with this venture.

Dyess

Dyess

Looking at another online therapy site called Talkspace.com  There is a forum of sorts you can talk with a counselor for a while, if it does what it says it sounds pretty good. For $25 a week, charged monthly, you can have unlimited text with a counselor for a week. So I may check this one out. By no means am I endorsing these forums, and/or counselors, just sharing my experience. So far talking in the forum has been helpful.

tired

I've looked at sites for online therapy. I was trying to figure out how I could make a living without leaving my house (!) and considered online fitness coaching and didn't know how to charge.  I think it was a little unsettling when I saw the rate sheets. On one hand, they do reduce the rates over in person therapy. On the other hand, online conversations are missing a big important component of the interaction-the non verbal cues.  That's why I go to therapy-to have a therapist pick up on things I'm not aware of. If I can write it down, I'm probably aware of it.  I guess it's good for behavioral therapy but not for something like analysis or anything where you have to figure something out.  I would use it, if I could afford it, to keep me on track.  I could be wrong but I feel like for that, I need a "buddy".  Someone who understands what I'm asking for because they need the same thing. It's hard to ask for help when the help you want and are ready to accept is very specific and hard to describe sometimes.

Anyway, my two cents.

Dyess

They have set up a private chat room for me to talk to the therapist, I don't text :) But from looking at the rates you can get it as low as $12 a week if you pay for a year. Still looking into it. Yes, that's what I'm thinking is to have someone to talk to between sessions, because I ALWAYS have questions about something :)
"These are the current payment options that are available for 1-on-1 private chat:
- $49/week of Unlimited Messaging Therapy paid weekly (which means $49.00 will be charged automatically each week.)
- $25/week of Unlimited Messaging Therapy paid monthly (which means $99.00 charged automatically each month.)
- $19/week of Unlimited Messaging Therapy paid quarterly (which means $228.00 charged automatically each quarter.)
- $12/week of Unlimited Messaging Therapy paid yearly (which means one single payment of $624.00.)(The yearly is currently discounted to $599) "