"the Century of the Self" (possible triggers)

• 8 Replies

Dutch Uncle

• Slowly freeing myself of a burden.
    • View Profile
"the Century of the Self" (possible triggers)
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
Over the course of the past days I watched a series on "the century of the Self", made by Adam Curtiss for the BBC in 2002.

"This series is about how those in power have used Freud's theories to try and control the dangerous crowd in an age of mass democracy." - Adam Curtis' introduction to the first episode.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self)

I have found it quite interesting. And it has made me realize that psychology as both an academic pursuit as well as a 'business' is actually a very young discipline.

It focusses heavily on the Anglo-Saxon world, and more specifically on the USA. This is both a shortcoming IMHO, as particularly the Germanic world is neglected (where Freud originated, and where his work has also been of huge influence), but at the same time probably an asset, as this board is primarily Anglo-Saxon/American. So perhaps it will relate stronger to the audience here present.

It's a bit unsettling at times, as (for me at least) it gives a creepy feeling of being manipulated.
On the whole though, I've found it enlightening and empowering.

***possible triggers. Graphic short scenes depicting the horrors of war***
Edited to add: On second thoughts: Freud is… well, Freud. So:
***possible triggers: explicit references to the male anatomy***

Part 1: https://vimeo.com/75776128
This link is to part 2, and contains the links to the other three parts of the series.
https://vimeo.com/75779119
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:28:32 PM by Dutch Uncle »

KayFly

Re: "the Century of the Self"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
I find this very interesting. Thank you for sharing Dutch!  :thumbup: Have a great day!

woodsgnome

• I did not wish to live what was not life
    • View Profile
Re: "the Century of the Self" (possible triggers)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
This quote from you, DU, resonates with me: "It's a bit unsettling at times, as (for me at least) it gives a creepy feeling of being manipulated."

I haven't seen the series you mention, but I appreciate the links—it's a societal problem that I think dovetails with aspects of cptsd. Having a history of mind manipulation from abusers we do feel its effects, and might not even know it.

Freud's a topic fraught with danger. My own take is he fell into seeking to squeeze/manipulate his supposed scientific approach into his own preconceived notions, rather like some T's I've encountered. Jung is often considered a counter, and to me his take seems more of an open book—one of my T's was a Jungian analyst and she exhibited a bit more savvy than others.

My childhood fell prey to the mind manipulations of a doctrinaire private school, but somehow I survived. Their motto—educating mind, body, soul—could well have started out with “manipulating...”, and it's "education" was only a convenient term to hide behind their violence. In an odd way, the extreme hyper-vigilance I ended up with has made me very aware of the manipulation-prone world beyond that one.

Getting long-winded, so I'll just say that from my perch it's bothersome that everything is saturated with commercial undercurrents; what I call UFP--Unidentified Flying Propaganda. Outright manipulation is often not even thinly disguised—it's open, accepted, and praised.

It's as if the overlying ethos of society has become “all marketing all the time.” Everything/everywhere is sponsored; even parks and natural areas are threatened with being sold for naming rights to raise revenue. Budget-starved schools readily eye the lucrative offers to plaster commercial messages on every space available. A few years ago there was a serious attempt to launch a satellite for the purpose of projecting advertising messages amongst the stars! Oh boy.

The notion of citizen was replaced by that of consumer long ago. And I see that the trend in airports is to offer quiet space for a fee—but expect cacophony once you venture out into the “common space,” where it's implied it will be noisy, live with it; watch CNN/Fox whatever's on, it's the real world.

Huh?  ???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:50:29 PM by woodsgnome »

arpy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:17:53 PM »
 :yes: yep. i accord, woodsgnome. i only recently began to notice how, in spite of thinking that i was aware and cld think critically, how my mind has been twisted and screwed with. angry? beginning to be...

Dutch Uncle

• Slowly freeing myself of a burden.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
The notion of citizen was replaced by that of consumer long ago.

Awesome  ;D . It's one of the subjects addressed, but I had no idea of it until after seeing the video's.  :thumbup:

I'm not well versed in the field of psychology, but on the whole I feel more drawn to Jung than to Freud as well.

Freud was a true pioneer though, and Jung was his student. It's hard to get it 'right' of you have no 'Shoulders of Giants' to stand on.

Thanks so much for your reply. It's always a pleasure to get acquainted to your insights.

stillhere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
Thanks for the links. 

This series makes some compelling connections, though Freud and his extended family can't be held entirely responsible for consumerism and the erosion of collective responsibility.  Still, the twentieth would have been different without Freud and Freudian thought.

My understanding is that contemporary psychology has largely dismissed Freud and much Freudian thought, although his notions of the unconscious and defense mechanisms are still with us.  Unfortunately for those of us dealing with CPTSD, Freud retreated from a recognition of trauma and its effects.  He diagnosed "hysteria" in some of his patients and heard their stories.  But then he concluded that the stories were fantasies, that his patients were expressing some deep unconscious drives. 

Judith Herman's Trauma and Recovery describes this aspect of Freud.  Perhaps, if he'd had the courage to recognize the power dynamics of abuse, psychology would have taken a different turn.

mourningdove

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:39 AM »
Just want to say thank you for the links, DU. Excellent program!  :thumbup:

JohnnyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 06:13:18 AM »
I read the book Farenheit 451 By Ray Bradbury acouple years ago. It is absolutely frighten how spot on he predicted the future, right down to smartphones as watches and Bigger is better in the TV market, all the way to violence almost being a sport, and endless tv and radio everywhere you go. The only thing we have gotten to from the book is book burning but I fear its close. I believe it is a must read for everybody. Ray Bradbury at his finest

arpy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »
'amen to that brother' !!!! big Bradbury fan, even tho can only read him when my head's in a good place becos he's very dark sometimes.

haven't watched the century of the self thing yet as am waiting, yes, for my head to be in good place... :blink: